Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000

MDA

May 27, 2002
And you know all the details do you?

You are an expert on international relations and negotiations?

I suppose you could have fixed everything in a jiffy eh?

Whatever....

-Mark-

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
With the information suplied (not saying that there's not more to the story that would justify Canada's "soft" approach), I think there could have been a lot more done. If it had been an American, you can bet the Saudi's would have either killed him right away, made sure that he had some type of proper representation (and was treated properly), or have turned him over VERY quickly after the arrest. The American government, generally, isn't very tolerant of American's being severly punished (not to mention tortured) by other countries. Remember that kid that got busted (seems like it was somewhere in Asia) for vandalism and they wanted to "whip" him? That caused quite a stir and it was just to whip his ass, and he deserved it! Canada stays pretty neutral during most conflicts....admit it. With that type of attitude it's hard to stand up to another country (especially one like Saudi Arabia......the Canadians KNOW there are terrorist cells all over their own country) and refuse to be pushed around or have their citizens mistreated.

I can appreciate your sense of Nationalism and I'm fighting a losing battle trying to argue this case, for that I'm sorry! But, they don't call ya'll FRENCH-Canadians for nothing! :confused: Just playing! :laugh:

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
MDA, please read all links to this story, and the story regarding the reporter/photographer that was just killed in Iran. The Canadian government is doing very little to help those of us that travel abroad.

Do you travel internationally? I do, and this type of treatment, with no form of recourse scares the hell outa me. Maybe your opinion would change if you were the person hung upside down and beaten within an inch of your life with an axe handle. The guy suffered two heart attacks from the terror and beatings.

Torture is an accepted interogation technique in Saudi (and in many countries), not saying one is better than the other.

I think we should punt their representitives out of the country until such time as their government answers to the charges.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
... not saying one is better than the other.

I hope that was meant as satire. :think:

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Captain, what was meant was that any of the multitude that permit torture and or inprisonment without just cause, fall in the same catigory. I don't want to get into a debate about the ones that are allies of the US and Canada, that use the same interogation tactics.

FYI - My company was requested to quote on a turbine refurb in Iran this year.......Ya' wanna sign up for the program?

I just expect more than a token jesture from my government, when a country that is known for torture and abuse, scoops one of it's citicens.

Top Bottom