Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Cannondale Recall/ And Kawasaki, Honda

This can't help.

------------------------------

CPSC, Cannondale Corp. Announce Recall of ATVs

CPSC, Cannondale Corp. Announce Recall of ATVs PRODUCT: All-Terrain Vehicles - Cannondale Corp., of Bethel, Conn., is voluntarily recalling about 630 model year 2001 and 2002 All-Terrain Vehicles. The Cannondale "FX 400" and Cannondale "Cannibal" are four-wheeled all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). The FX 400 and Cannibal models have "Cannondale" and "FX 400" or "Cannibal" on both sides of the vehicle. Cannondale appears on the rear fenders and bodywork of the vehicle; "Cannibal" appears roughly inboard of the operator's knee location; "FX400" appears on the seat of the vehicle. Cannondale dealers nationwide sold these ATVs from February 2001 through mid-July 2001 for between $7,000 and $8,000.

PROBLEM: The ball joints in the A-arm assembly on these vehicles can break, which could cause the front wheels to lose stability. Also, the tie-rod assemblies on these vehicles can break or work loose, and damage either the steering column plate end or knuckle. If the ball joints or a tie rod end breaks, the operator can lose control of the vehicle during use and crash.

INCIDENTS/INJURIES: Cannondale Corp. has received five reports of the ball joints in the A-arm assembly on these ATVs breaking and two reports of the tie-rod ends breaking. One consumer suffered a concussion and another suffered a bruised shoulder.

WHAT TO DO: Consumers should stop riding these ATVs and contact their local Cannondale dealer to schedule an appointment to have the ball joints and tie-rod assemblies replaced free of charge. If possible, consumers should contact the dealer where they purchased their ATV. For more information, contact Cannondale toll free at (877) DLR-MOTO (357-6686) between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m ET Monday through Friday, between 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET Saturday, and between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. ET Sunday. Owners of these ATV were directly notified about this recall.

:silly:

Last edited:

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I don't see a recall as always being a bad thing. It only took 5 reports out of 600+ sold to cause a recall. I think this shows cannondale as being responsible since they're owning up to an engineering flaw and fixing it for free.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
The way I see it, It shows that they care about the customer, 5 people getting hurt isn't anything that any of the big 4 would call out a recall for I don't think.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
4 letters --CPSC

The Consumer Products Safety Commission.

They're the ones that got Honda to quit making ATCs and the TRX250R.

If they got 5 reports from any owner of a Japanese machine, the same thing would happen. The CPSC is Nazi-like in their fervor for public safety (protecting us from ourselves in many cases).

I hope this doesn't hurt Cannondale.

On a side note, that's a pretty fair number of ATVs sold--good job C-dale!:)

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I know that I would probably jump ship and go to Cannondale if they get the bikes running to the standards they are trying to acheive and take care of the reliability issues. How cool would it be to ride a fuel injected aluminum framed american bike with intake going in where it makes sense and the exhaust coming out wher it makes sense!!;)

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Sorry guys, I'm on the other end of the continuum.

Another case of faulty design/poor engineering of a company ill equipt to build motorcycles/ATVs.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Kawasaki MX Recall

It seems to me Every Company no matter how WELL equipped they are is not immune to problems..

CPSC, Kawasaki Motors Corp. Announce Recall of Motocross Motorcycles
WASHINGTON, D.C.- In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A., of Irvine, Calif., is voluntarily recalling about 18,000 motorcycles, used in motocross competition. The rear brakes on these motorcycles can fail, causing a rider to lose control of the vehicle and crash, resulting in injuries or death.

CPSC and Kawasaki have not received any reports of injuries or failure of the rear braking system. This recall is being conducted to prevent the possibility of injuries.

The recalled Kawasaki motorcycles are 2001 KX series motocross vehicles, with model numbers KX65, KX85, KX100, KX125, KX250 and KX500. The name "Kawasaki" appears on each side of the frame near the steering column, and the model number appears on each side of the frame running from the rear tire to the braking system. The motorcycles are green, with white on the front of the steering column and on the each side of the seat. Kawasaki dealers nationwide sold the motorcycles from May 2000 to November 2000 for between $2,800 and $5,800.

Consumers should stop using the motorcycles immediately. Kawasaki will mail owners a free repair kit. Owners can make the repair themselves or return their motorcycle to a Kawasaki dealership, for a free repair. For more information, consumers should call their local dealership or Kawasaki at (866) 802-9381, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. PT Monday through Friday; or, go to the company's website at www.buykawasaki.com.

---------------------------------

CPSC, Honda Announce Recall of Off-Road Motorcycles
WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), American Honda Motor Co. Inc., of Torrance Calif., is voluntarily recalling about 22,000 off-road motorcycles. The two bolts that attach the handlebars can break. If the handlebars separate from the motorcycle, the rider loses steering control and can crash, posing the risk of serious injuries.

Honda has received four reports of handlebars separating from these motorcycles. No injuries have been reported. Honda also received four reports of loose handlebars caused by one of the two bolts failing.

The recall includes only years 2000 and 2001 off-road motorcycles with model number XR50R. They are red, and "50R" is written on the sides of the seat on 2000 models, and on the sides of the tank shroud on the 2001 models. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of these motorcycles, listed below, can be found on the left side of the steering head frame tube.

-- 2000 XR50R motorcycles have VIN ranges from JH2AE03**YK000013 to JH2AE03**YK0016046

-- 2001 XR50R motorcycles have VIN ranges from JH2AE03**1K010001 to JH2AE03**1K0110056

Honda motorcycle dealers nationwide sold these motorcycles from September 1999 through October 2000 for about $1,300.

Consumers should stop using these motorcycles immediately, and call their local Honda motorcycle dealer to schedule a free repair. To locate their local dealer or for more information, consumers should call American Honda at (888) 289-8226 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, or go to the company's web site at http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/press/index.html.

Registered owners of the vehicles have been notified directly by American Honda about the recall.

---------------------------------------

CPSC, Kawasaki Motors Corp. Announce Recall of Off-Road Motorcycles
WASHINGTON, D.C.- In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Kawasaki Motors Corp. U.S.A., of Irvine, Calif., is recalling about 4,000 Motocross Competition motorcycles. A frame down tube on these motorcycles can crack below the steering head. Use of the motorcycle with a cracked down tube can result in failure of the frame, which can cause the rider to lose control of the motorcycle and crash, resulting in injury or death.

Kawasaki has received 60 reports of frames on these motorcycles cracking. Three of these incidents reportedly resulted in the down tube failing, leading to crashes. Injuries to riders included broken bones and abrasions.

These KX65 Model Year 2000 motorcycles have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) located on their frame behind the front fork. Recalled motorcycles carry VIN numbers with the last four digits between 0001 and 6668. The motorcycles are small, two-wheel, off-road motocross competition vehicles designed for rough terrain. The fenders and bodywork are lime green with large "Kawasaki" decals on each side.

Kawasaki dealers nationwide sold these motorcycles from November 1999 through October 2000 for about $2,700.

Consumers with the recalled motorcycles should stop using them immediately and call their local Kawasaki dealer to schedule a free inspection and repair. For more information about this recall, contact Kawasaki toll-free at (866) 802-9381 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. PT Monday through Friday. Registered owners of the motorcycles will be notified by mail directly by Kawasaki.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I knew it!

I knew Honda and Kawasaki were both ill-equipped to build motorcycles!
:p
(come on Loco, be a good American!)

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Hey, if you read Dirt Rider like I do you would know that Yamaha is the only company that knows how to make dirt bikes!

I apologize for criticize C'dale's long and storied history of making motorcycles. Clearly their success with the 2-wheeled version, oh - I forgot, they quit making them due to major peroformance issues (for a while) didn't they? Wheels falling off the 4 wheeled version is over stating a problem too. Again, my humble apologies.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by yzeater
Hey XRP, what was wrong with the 250R?
Nothin', Honda just went into CYA mode and discontinued them.

And Loco, don't apologize! Just have a sense of humor.

Like I've always thought, at least C'dale is jumping in with both feet, and backing everything up. Remember the first Husabergs?:think

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by LocoCD
Another case of faulty design/poor engineering of a company ill equipt to build motorcycles/ATVs.

Did I miss the part of the press release that stated that the root cause was a faulty design or poor engineering? Could have been a bad batch of parts from a lower level supplier or any other number of things. Not saying it wasn't a poor design - I've never seen a C-dale quad. I'd like to hear/read the root cause of the failures.

Brian

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I think you will find that NVR is correct and that the part in question is an "off the rack" part from another supplier. Not that that is an excuse, but it happens to the best of them (see GM, Ford, VW, Honda....).

KX500CRAZY

Aug 3, 2001
I tried to be a good American. I bought an ATK and a Cannondale. They are both crap. The frame cracked on the Cannondale and the ATK was just a nightmare to get parts for and I could not get it to RUN like a KX250 or KX500. Take it from me, buy the rice burners until an American motorcycle company can get it together. Open the rags guys-How many aftermarket parts are available for the Cannondale? How many Cannondale's do you see in supercross, motocross, GNCC? Why do you think that is? This buy American thing is a joke. Half of the parts on your Ford pickup or your Harley Davidson are made in Japan or Mexico.

jet373

Apr 2, 2002
yamaha doesnt know any better ether loco...... 03 yz250 crankpins snap 96-01 thottles .... 02 250f cranks ....... 98,99,00 426 clutches ....... i worked for a m/c company in r/d and you wouldnt belive the stuff that goes on that gets swept under the carpet

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Yea, I had a throttle pulley (something like that) that was recalled on my Yamaha and my dad's (97 and 01).

If cannondale got their reliability issues sorted out, I'd go over to them. I wouldn't have a problem with it, however the few guys around here that ride them have had lots of problems finishing races. If they get that fixed, a C-Dale might be the next bike for me. I don't think that they're ill-equipped to build bikes and ATV's, I'm sure that when the Jap companies first started building bikes they went through some growing pains too.

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I can't believe that they actually sold 630 units. I'm forced to agree with LocoCD. C'Dale tried to re-invent the wheel and bit off more than they could chew.

Top Bottom