Can't believe I did this to rear master cylinder sight glass!

buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
Tonight I decided to adjust the chain and put new rear brake pads on my 2005 KTM 450 EXC. The new pads are quite thick so I had to take a scewdriver and spread the pads out so the rotor would fit between them. The last little bit took a lot of pressure and then all of a sudden a fine mist of brake fluid came flying out of the rear master cylinder sight glass! After closer inspection I found that the O-ring seal in the sight glass was pushed out by the pressure created by spreading the pads. I carefully took a sharp screwdriver and was able to push the O-ring back down where it came from. Went for a short ride and the brakes seem to be working. It is very hard to tell if the O-ring seal is leaking any brake fluid but I don't think it is. This whole event left me with several questions as follows:
1) Is there an easy way to replace this seal in the sight glass on Brembo Brakes?
2) Even if it does leak a little bit... is the sight glass before the point where pressure is generated in the master cylinder to where braking power would not be affected?
3) I am thinking I screwed the Rear Master Cylinder Cap on too tight which prevented pressure to be bled off? Is there a specific torgue that one should tighten these to or is it just "finger tight"?

Any thoughts/advice on any of the above topics will be appreciated!

Top Bottom