can't decide between 640/LC4 DS or 520EXC

The Cheese

Mar 16, 2002
I am in the market for a new bike and can't decide between these 2 bikes. My riding plans are for 30% street, 50% fire roads/ dirt roads and 20% single track.
I realize these bike have dramitcally different charestics. My plan with the 520 exc is: mount more street friendly tires, convert tailight to break light and add a horn. I MT. this would make the bike street legal. Eventually if needed add aux. gas tank. I heard in Europe the 520 comes in a DS version, pretty much the exact same bike just has turn signal and that stuff. Not fair.

With the 640 DS I would basically just ride the hell out of it. Maybe do something with the exhaust baffles to get some more HP. I haven't seen any aftermarket performance parts for this bike. Has anybody? If so where? I am not even sure I will need them, but its hard to tell since I never ridden the bike. I definetly want a bike that rips!
My main question with 520 is how will do at extended highway speeds 20-30 miles at 50-70 mph? With the 640 I wonder if it is to burly for single track roosting.
I am currently leaning towards the 640 based on less maintenance, possibility of long road trips on street/ pavement and passener capibilities. It would nice to be ablet to take the lady up to some high mountain lakes.
Any input or suggestions is greatlly appreciatted.
thanks

Any suggestions or input will bre greatly appreciated.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
They both rip,......my guess is the 640 will be better on the road sections, and the 520 will be better on the dirt/trail sections. :) Its impossible to find a bike that is optimum at both.

KnotsoFast

Mar 31, 2002
Well I had a KTM 640LC and it was tough to ride for a long trip. The darn thing vibrated like crazy and it is a very tall bike for off road tight trails. Dirt roads were fun however and it can be lowered some if that need be. But I now ride a Husaberg FC470E and like it way better. The Berg has almost zero shake and my hands don't numb like on the KTM. It's plenty fast and out handles the KTM in every way. The 640 was over 300 pounds dry, a real handfull in the soft stuff, the Berg is 245 lbs and kicks azz. The 640 didn't turn as good as the Berg does but does carry a bunch more fuel and the 640 does not have very good dirt riding gearing in the transmission, it is geared more for street riding. I think I would seriously look at the 520 and stay away from the 640.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The 640 is no treat on road trips - lots of vibration compared to other factory DS bikes.

The 520 will not self destruct on pavement, but the seat will feel like its got an intimate relationship with your kidneys after about 10 miles.

True 50/50, with the 50 dirt being 4 wheeler trails and forest roads? 640. Mainly dirt with some real single track and fantiasies about road trips? 520.

A friend took his RFS 400 on a 6 day/600 mile trip with me in the Big Bend area of Texas and Copper Canyon in Mexico. We rode about 20% pavement, 5% desert single track, and 75% dirt road (everything from groomed park roads to the NASTIEST jeep roads). He changed the oil at 250 miles. The RFS performed flawlessly on this trip and is still a fantastic woods weapon to boot.

I had a 400 EXC LC4. '95 vintage and the lightest they made of this type of bike. Awesome rally-inspired chassis capable of being ridden in the tight stuff. The extra bulk of the current breed of the RXC is quite a detriment to its offroad prowess. Hope this helps,

gulliver

May 4, 2001
I have an LC4 640 and believe it is the perfect dual sport - that is; good at everything and great at nothing.

Ups:
Vibrations mellow after 1000 miles, I have no complaints.
It's a very good road bike, better than some true road bikes.
It gets a ton of looks.
It eats fast trails, lots of fun off road.
Great for 2-up riding with girl.
Good power - fast to 70mph.

Downs:
It's really not great in the tight stuff, woods, lumps, etc.
It's tall and best for 6+ footers.
Throughway driving is good, but would be better if it had a 6th gear.
Seat is hard but fine for rides under 3 hours - can be changed.

If you get it, you will ride a lot more street riding than you thought you would.

Top Bottom