firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I know I've posted before asking about a '97 360exc vs a '00 380 mxc. The 380 sold last week, and I have been reading about the 200exc and how great it is. Realistically I will be mostly putting with the kids 95% of the time. The other 5% will be playriding on fireroads and trails. I probably will never enter an enduro, at least not untill my oldest son is ready to (he is 8 and just started riding this year). I just don't know if it is worth spending $4500 on a '04 200 exc and financing half of that for the riding I will be doing. I can pay cash for the '97 360 exc, which is in great shape, for $2000. Would it be worth spending the extra $2500 for a playbike that I will be riding with the kids. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money and planned on doing some more aggressive riding, I'd buy a new bike. If I get the '97 what mods besides a fmf gnarly pipe/silencer would be worth investing into this bike. I plan on keeping whatever I buy for at least 2 years. By the way, I have not ridden in over 5 years and my last bike was '86 CR 500, so anything in the '90's up will be a huge improvement.

Any input is greatly appreciated. This is an awesome site, and you guys have sold me on KTM's for life.

Last edited:

braaap

Jun 25, 2001
Sold for $2000!!! If the '97 is in good shape, you like it and you're just playing around then there's no reason to waste money on a new one. Let someone else buy the new 200 EXC and you can buy it from them in two years for half the cost!

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
braaap,

Very true. I've just heard others in this forum say don't buy anything under a 2001. I have also heard Patman say that he loves his '96 360. Just wondering if Patman or others have been on newer KTM's, and thought it was worth paying the price for a new bike?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
that 97 360 is the bike that converted me to KTM's. The 97 chassis, albeit heavy, is a dream to ride. Great ergos, wonderful 50mm Zokes and Ohlins shock and the 360 is a fun engine. I wouldn't hesitate a bit on the 360 :cool:

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
Get the 360. I had an '00 380 EXC that (with some jetting changes) would literally idle along all day in first gear without fouling a plug or overheating.
Also consider the Husky WR360 - a friend of mine has an '00. The resale on them is pretty poor so you could probably find a newer one for $2,000. Better motor, suspension and handling than the KTMs IMO.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I had a KDX, and it was ok, but then I bought a 450 EXC I ride like crap, and this bike has a way of making ride better. nothing beats riding a tractor! Dave, where were you yesterday???? firffighter ,
ask Mr. Luckey about the 200EXC

jwseven

Feb 13, 2005
Hi I'm new to this fourm but i'll throw in my opinion, I owned a 04 200exc never considered it to be good for any kind of putting, sharp power band, not much midrange, go luck on your choice.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for everyone's advice, I really appreciate it. Sounds like the 360 would be better to putt around on. Any advice on upgrades or mods to this bike?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Just buy it youll be happy with it! Invest in new tires, chain and sprockets, piston kit and a few bearings and then think of mods.Trust me you wont need them.

Top Bottom