Woody'sKDX

Apr 11, 2001
I have an 86 XR200R. As of right now I keep fouling plugs(carbon) I had been running it without a low speed idle pin (didnt have it when I bought it) and it was running fine. I dont know if this has anything to do with the fouling so I figured that I'd ask. I do know that the valves need to be adjusted too. What I need to know is if anyone out there could find me a low speed idle pin would be great but maybe I'd be better off getting a new carb altogether. So if anyone knows what size carb I need would be great too. I called Dennis Kirk but those tools that answer the phone have no clue and I cant find a part number online for the life of me!! HELP ME!!!! PLEASE!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Yes, the idle circuit could cause plug fouling - but if it's been missing the idle jet for awhile and this problem just started, then I'd say it's something else - but do replace the jet. Just order one from your local Honda dealer.

Now, to fix the problem:

Clean the filter.

Adjust the valves (can cause plug fouling).

Make sure you're installing the correct heat range of plug - don't just keep replacing with whatever came out of it, check to make sure you're using the right one.

Remove the pipe and make sure there's no obstructions.

Is it smoking at all? If so, there's a few more things to check, but this should keep you busy for awhile.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Also, the heat and humidity on the east coast and mid west has been playing havoc on bikes that are touchy on jetting. Has the fouling been just this week thats its been like hot smogy sticky amazon jungle out side? I would do like DS said to and get the jet, do the valves and check with the dealer on the correct plug #. If that dose not work maybe CDI, I have herd alot of XR problems comming from CDIs that flake out when they get hot. Good luck!

Woody'sKDX

Apr 11, 2001
It was smoking a bit but it went away. I did get the correct plug and that was the one that fouled. I also forgot to mention that when it does start it backfires alot too. Anyway I will try those remedies and see if they work. Any more help would be appreciated.
Thanks

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Always make sure the bike is mechanically sound as a first step. Check and adjust the valves. That's not the only thing that can cause backfires but it is a necessary first step before doing things like playing with carb jetting. A compression check (or better yet leakdown test) would be a good thing before going too far as well. But even that isn't accurate if the valve clearance is off.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
you have a multi part problem. The valves need adjusted, the idle screw being gone is making the bike run very lean at idle, hence the backfiring, the carb is dirty inside from having the idle screw gone, allowing the bike to suck in dirt and more than likely the dirt has accumulated around the needle and seat causing the bike to flood, this would take time to happen, but happen it will. you need to take that carb apart and give it a good cleaning and replace that pin and adjust those valves.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by penguin
you have a multi part problem. The valves need adjusted, the idle screw being gone is making the bike run very lean at idle, hence the backfiring, the carb is dirty inside from having the idle screw gone, allowing the bike to suck in dirt and more than likely the dirt has accumulated around the needle and seat causing the bike to flood, this would take time to happen, but happen it will. you need to take that carb apart and give it a good cleaning and replace that pin and adjust those valves.
All great advice, but I would add one thing. All that dirt that has been entering the carb through the hole where the idle adjuster belongs has been going through your engine. I would probably do a compression check after you clean and adjust everything. And change the oil.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Honda 200 engines generally foul plugs because of a rich carb. This can be caused by a tight intake valve, but more likely is excessive wear on the needle and needle jet. These are wear items in the carb and have to be replaced periodicaly. Approx $25.00. They come in a set. And no, if they are worn, you can't compensate by raising the clip. Don't know why, but it just doesn't work.
When you say idle pin; exactly what are you referring to? The idle speed screw is on the side of the carb. The idle mixture screw is on the bottom toward the front of the carb. Both need to be in place for any semblance of idling or low-speed running.
The original carb on the 200 is actually pretty good. I would not recommend anything different at all. Try to fix what you have.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Yep, that is the idle circuit fuel screw. If it is missing you will get a little air (and no fuel) through the idle circuit. Not a good situation. It should come with a spring, O-ring, and a little washer. This should not cause plug fouling.
Have you got a Honda dealer anywhere? Parts should be readily available. I have found with carb parts that it is best to stick with OEM or original carb manufacturer parts.
Click on Service Honda (immediately to your left).
You could maybe get by with a salvage idle circuit screw, but if you get to the needle and needle jet, go for the new stuff. The needle is the long metering needle that passes through the slide. The needle jet is in the carb body and requires removal of the main jet carrier. It then knocks out from the top (through the slide bore) of the carb.
You sound a little inexperienced. Remember that when doing any work on a carb (or most any other part of the bike) you must be patient, methodical, and METICULOUS to avert complete disaster.
Murphy was an optimist!! Good luck!

Top Bottom