trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Hey!

I've just changed by clutch basket and plates. The clutch goes fine but I can't find the neutral. When I do find the neutral (very very hard) and I start it, it slips on a gear without me doing anything. This problem was inexistant before I removed my right engine side cover.

Anybody have an idea to what the problem is? I'm thinking it could be a spring somewhere, anyway. Thanks for your input.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Is this the spring that gets back the shifter in middle position? Cause if its this one, I played a lot with it to put it back in place; maybe it is weak now! How was yours incorrectly installed?

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
With your hand try putting pressure on the front sprocket by trying to twist it in first gear when the bike's off, then slowly bring the shift lever up and see if it will click into neutral. Some bikes need that tension when the bikes off to shift properly.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
make sure you cable is adjusted properly, if not it can make it a real pita to find nuetral

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
kx125412 said:
You can but you don't have to pull in the clutch cable, it should still shift.
if the cable isnt adjusted properly it will make it hard to find neutral no matter if its pulled in or not, it could be putting just a little pressure on the clutch which will make it hard to slide into neutral

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Ok I've repositioned a spring which seemed incorrectly installed. I've put the right engine cover back on. Neutral is now really easy to find and 1st gear also, but for gears 2 and up, I only find neutrals!!! Before, it didn't hold neutral, now it does but doesn't hold the gears. I don't know what to think about this, maybe the camshifter pins?

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Well if you have a service manual I would suggest looking in it for spring positions and everything, but currently im working on an '81 RM 125 and it doesnt hold gears unless im spinning the front sprocket while I shift up or down.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Could it simply be broken pins on the camshifter? Or the camshifter simply unsrewed? By the way thanks for your help kx125..

Chokey

Uhhh...
Oct 12, 2003
trial_07 said:
Could it simply be broken pins ..
If the problem didn't exist until you took everything apart to install the new clutch, then It's an assembly problem, not a broken part problem. You didn't put something back together right. It's almost certainly the shift detent spring position.

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
Gear selection problems can also be caused by incorecty installing the hub bolts to the wrong tension. On some models of bikes, once the hub bolts are down tight they should be backed off a quarter a turn or so.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Finally, a washer was missing in an area under the camshifter. A stupid washer ****ed up all my transmission lol, hard to believe eh?

Top Bottom