Can't get enough, but where to RE-start?

janesee

Nov 6, 2007
So after not giving it much decision and being a VERY impulsive girl lol... I bought a 2007 TTR230L a few weeks ago, and am finding out that I should have waited it out as well as tried a couple of my friend's bikes.

Boy was I ever wrong when I assumed that trail riding is where I would want to be. I was skeptical about the track - but so far have ridden 2 pits and one motocross track and have found it to be nothing but a blast. Have tried trail riding once on a trail that was NOT newb friendly, so am not looking to rule trail riding out, but definitely would like to work on my dirt skills more so in a place where I'm close to the group, and not so much riding farther away from the parking spot.

Now thing is, I'd like to get a more mx geared bike. One that has better suspension, lighter, and a bit more pick up and not so much bogging like the TTR does lol. I have realized that the TTR is not meant for track riding.

Now the info you need to divulge information and help me with my dilemma...

1) 5'4" and 170 lbs.
2) On a scale of 1-10, about a 6-7 for physically aggressive. I carry my weight well, learn fast and have ridden street for 4 years.
3) Ride in groups - like to play around mx/sx tracks with 'some' gentle trail riding
4) as stated before - no dirt experience 4 years street experience
5) racing... dunno... have the ambition need to work on the skillz lol
6) i'm mechanically inclined as far as the things i've already done - oil changes filter cleaning. would definitely like to learn and do more, and have a mechanically inclined bf ready to teach me.
7) no preference to brand... am considering a 125/150 ... possibly a 250 if i can mod it 'to fit' aka adjust suspension etc.
8) live within an hour of dealerships carrying honda, ktm, yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki
9) just spent $5000cdn on my new bike AND gear, so am looking to do a trade or under $4000cdn
10) live on Vancouver Island, BC, CANADA
11) 23
12) will try anything once! will describe myself as a 'fearless BUT cautious individual if that makes any sense lol! :laugh:

May 10, 2007
i would say a kx 100 105 SX or crf150R (or the expert what ever fits best. they are the same bike really)

and so you know a 125 2t is gonna have the same seat high as a 250 2t or 4t or 450 4t.

janesee

Nov 6, 2007
flyingfuzzball said:
i would say a kx 100 105 SX or crf150R (or the expert what ever fits best. they are the same bike really)

and so you know a 125 2t is gonna have the same seat high as a 250 2t or 4t or 450 4t.

Thanks for the advice... I have/am considering the Honda CRF150R as I tried my gf's and it was awesome. Felt like there would be no limits as to where I could take that bike height and power wise. It fit great compared to my current TTR. Anyone wanna trade? LOL :whoa:

Jan 3, 2007
I would say a 125 2 stroke will last you longer then a CRf150R and cost less to operate. You can always shave the seat foam down and buy a lowering link. lots of newer 125s for under $4000. Put a flywheel wieght on it to make the power smoother and call it sone.

janesee

Nov 6, 2007
So what would be the big difference between a 125 2 stroke then and a 150 4 stroke? I'm told that with the 4 I'll have smoother throttle, but much more responsive than the TTR230, the size will be perfect, without modding it... haven't really looked at any 125's. Will it have as much or more get up and go? What in the long run will be better for a 170lb, 5'4" girl who is fairly new but quick learning to the track and only has previous street/track riding experience? What's the difference in suspension? Those are my main 2-3 qualms about the TTR and having not known what I was getting the bike for or what I would want to ride when I bought it, now I know. The TTR bogs out, suspension is waaay too squishy for jumping, but has improved since we lowered the triple clamp, and the bike is still a bit tall/heavy for me to be comfortable on.

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
2 strokes is right about the 150 in that its going to cost more to operate for an extended time. The crf150 stock is as fast as my dirtbike, we'll just keep it at that. A 125s too tall I believe, but I also know of a local kid thats 5'5" who dominates on a 450...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom