Can't remove transmission drain plug

johnnyl

Sep 28, 2005
Yz250 2003 Can't remove transmission drain plug

Bought a new bike. The previous owner has rounded the trans drain plug. I have tried a good pair of vice grips they won't shift it. Anyboby got any ideas on how to remove it?

B

biglou

I got a drain plug out of a bike that was severely galled to the case like this: Use a center punch and a hammer, heat the case up with a propane torch, and have someone applying anticlockwise pressure with some stout vice-grips. Once it pops loose, it will come right out. You'll want to replace it with an aftermarket magnetic drain plug for sure. Don't risk getting it stuck again.

Notice I said "anticlockwise"? I saw you flyin' the Union Jack... ;)

jonnyriabov

Oct 27, 2005
I second the craftsman damaged bolt remover....It took me 2 seconds to remove mine with this magical tool, after cursing for an a couple hours with vicegrips, and whatnot beforehand.

jonny

johnnyl

Sep 28, 2005
My Tranmission drain plug is rounded on my YZ250 03. Tried vice grips, hammering on a smaller socket, hammer and blunt chisel. Anyboby got any better ideas?

Thanks John.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
craftsman makes a variety of tools for things like that including ez outs . i try for the grinding, or dremeling(is that a word?) two sides flat again and getting a wrench on it. not possible inside the frame but a pipe wrench will get out a perfectly round bolt also

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
thanks okie , now i have $697,029.99 on my craftsman wish list :yikes:

Top Bottom