Can't seem to get it!

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
Hi everyone, I am still having some idle problems with my kdx 250. I Bought this bike in the fall and thought I had it running PPPeeerfrct until today, I installed all the old stock carb parts(Jets, Needle ect) new and today I fired up the bike for a quick ride +2degrees c and as soon as the thing warmed up it started to srceem at idle, (LEAN I ASK???) Had to drive it home in third 10mph haha. Anyway The idle screw didn't do a thing as well as the air screw. Could a bent reed cause this??
Lookin for advice thanks.
PS Setup is 160 main
55 pilot (Rich but calls for a 60)
1.5 turns
Thanks again

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
You probably put the slide in wrong. I did this once on my bike. pull the top off of the carb and make sure that the slide is sitting all the way at the bottom. If not, pull it out and turn it around.

skillzman1

Nov 26, 2003
You may also look for cracks in the rubber boot that connects the carb to the engine.
A cracked intake boot let's in extra air and leans the mixture way out-had the same thing happen on my old 250 Tecate4.

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
Should you be able to see any light when the slide is all the way down when the idle screw is out??

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
looking through the side of the carb? maybe. Basically there should be less than 1/4 inch gap below the slide. If it is inserted wrong, it'll be like a 1 1/2 inch gap, and the slide will just sit at the very top of the carb.

Please note that this may be different in your bike, like if the slide is not round or something...

When I did this I noticed that when turning the throttle with the bike off, the throttle felt funny, there was less resistance.

BlazinBoy

Feb 13, 2004
Yes you will probably still see a little light thru the carb body with the slide in correctly. Just be sure it is seated at the bottom of the carb. Check your reeds. If they are cracked, or not sealing correctly this will make it run lean. Also check that you dont have a leaking crank seal on the magneto side of the engine. You will need to do a crankcase pressure test to see. A local shop can do this or possibly even rent you the equipment to do this. Someone also mentioned to look for cracks in the intake boot between the reed cage and carburetor and ensure you have the carb in the boot all the way and all the bolts holding the reed cage assy. are in and tight. Good luck!

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
Thanks everyone

I figured out it was the throttle cable being to short and adjusted out all the way. When I looked intothe car b with the slide still inand the throttle at idle it hung 1/8'' off the bo ttom.I cuta lockwasher from the adjuster to give me extra cable and the side hit the bottom of the carb fiinally, I started the bike and was able to adjust the idle with the idle crew(IMAGINE!!) Thanks again fellas.
I still haveto replace the reeds though.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
You need to get a longer throttle cable. If the adjuster decides to adjust itself while you are riding, it could cause some serious problems...

skillzman1

Nov 26, 2003
If you replace the throttle cable be sure you route it correctly..so that it has play when you turn the handlebars each way.
I rode a CR250 a few years ago that my buddy had just bought and boy was it a surprise when I turned it sharp left,to say the least!!Whom ever replaced the bars lastrouted the cable in the wrong position and it pulled a little 'extra' when you least expected it, i.e. turning around on the edge of the trail.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…