'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
I replaced all of the bearings, sleeves etc on my bike. I also replaced the shock spring from a 5.0 to a 5.2 to see if that might give me some better bottoming resistance.

I wasn't able to get the sag past 70mm. So I put the old 5.0 back on and I can't get the sag past 70mm with that one either.

When I push down on the seat I can see the rocker arm rotating at all 3 ends and the swingarm rotating where it connects to the frame. The only part that isn't moving is where the linkage rods connect to the swingarm.

So I disconnected the rods from the swingarm and was able to rotate the bearings. I inserted the sleeve and was able to rotate the sleeve.

I'm measuring the sag by first balancing the bike without a stand or rider and measuring from a point on the swingarm above the axle to a point on the fender directly above.

Then I get on the bike standing on the pegs and have my friend measure between the same points again. I subtract the two to get the sag. When I loosen the preload on the spring by spinning the nut up, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Where did I go wrong?! :think

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
More info...

I think it's worth mentioning that I had a pretty hard wreck on the bike before I rebuilt it so it's possible that the problem is from the wreck - rather than my rebuild.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Do what jzyz says. You are measuring the sag wrong. The first measurement is done with the bike on a stand and the suspension totally extended.

Hope this helps.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Doh!

I was so sure I was doing it right. Thanks for straightening me out!

mxneagle: When I push down on the bike, it compresses past the 70mm. It's not like it hits a wall. Everything works as expected when I use the correct reference measurement.

So now that I can proceed: I'm wondering, if I replace my 5.0 kg spring with the 5.2 -

. will it give me better bottoming resistance?

. how will it affect the initial stroke?

. should I expect to decrease my slow or fast compression damping, or increase my rebound damping?

Thanks for the help! Mark :)

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
a stiffer spring will give better bottoming resistance. it will increase the rebound force, so expect to increase reb. damp.

Top Bottom