cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
Anyone else have a spooge probem with an excellent running bike. Yes, my 250 exc spooges alot but runs spot on. This past ride I had a couple 'A' riders take a spin on the bike and they both said the same thing...immediate throttle response and revs all the way through the rpms. They couldnt believe how strong it ran with all the spooge spouting out the exhaust. It is a mess everytime I ride. Any ideas how to clean this up. I hate to mess with the jetting too much because it runs great. BTW, I run 40:1 Yamalube, 170 main, 42 pilot, and N85D needle in the top clip. Would a straight taper needle clean it up? Strick previously recommended the straight taper needle but I havent tried it yet.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Did you get rid of the factory silencer and go with a FMF Powercore II, that really helped me on my 00 KTM250exc. Our jetting is very close, I am running a 175 main with a 40 pilot.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Since KTM supplies us with needle when we buy our bikes, you may want to put in a N85E, if that was provided in your kit. Straight taper needle is the ticket. I would start with a 1368J (#3)at your altitude. Also try running your premix at 32:1, just as an experiment. If you do run the 1368J, you will need to bump the main up to 178 or 180. Good Luck!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was going to place a post concerning this, but seems yours is a good place to reply.
I had the same situation up until this weekend. My bike was also "spot-on".
Ran great in all situations, but spooged like crazy. My plug looked great as well.
I jumped on the 20:1 bandwagon. Like most who have done this, I recieved a massive amount of critisizm from my pals as well as a bike shop mechanic.
Before the switch, I was running a 48pilot, 55 slide, D needle 3rd frm top,185 main, 40:1 w/MX2t.
Well initially after the switch to the more viscous mix, The bike lost power. It also lacked the response it had before. First check of the plug showed the insulator snow white. It was way too lean. The bike also seemed to be struggling for air and I couldn't get it right with the air screw. When looking in the carb, the slide was covered in what looked like grease. I am assuming this was from fuel/oil that wasn't able to go into the crankcase as fast as it needed to. (shrug)
Anyway...I changed the main to a 190, and since I assumed that my idle circuit was also way lean, I raised the needle to 4th from top. At this point I had very clean response and power in the upper band. But the lower was terrible. Looking at the plug again, I noticed it finally becomming a bit tan, so I figured I was close on the main. When I looked in the carb again, I still had the greasey substance all over the slide! So, I went against my logic and lowered the needle to 2nd clip postion from top. Once I did this, the bike started running much nicer on the bottom. I had to adjust my air screw to approx. 1/2-3/4 turn past stock setting of 1.5 turns out.
Now my bike is very,very strong in every situation. Plug is a very light tan color on the lower part of the insulator. The greasey substance went away from the carb, and the slide looks shiney and well lubed. and...little or no spooge!
I'm also convinced that I now have even more power in all areas. Sure feels that way anywho.
It's hard to teach an old dawg new trix...but I consider myself taught.
If someone would have suggested this to me 20 years ago, I would have said they were nuts.
If you aren't up on the pipe often, I'm not sure if this is the way to go or not.

btw...125sx @ 500'ASL, very high humidity year round, 110Turbo Blue/Mobil MX2t

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Congrats Jaybird. Bottom line on jetting is trial and error, combined with getting to know the power delivery of your bike. Patience is probably the biggest component in jetting!

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
Patience

Thats my problem. I want it all and NOW. All kidding aside, it is hard for me to do trial and error since I only get to ride about once a week and cant ride the bike through our subdivision.

I did try 32:1 a few weeks ago and fouled a couple plugs. Also, I am running a PC II silencer. Strick, could you explain why I should go up on the pilot after a switch to a 1368J? Is it that the single taper makes it leaner on top?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hang in there, cphillips.
I've had this bike since Dec. and I have just recently started to really become intimate with her. :) (lol...it's ok, she loves me too)
ANywho...I suggest taking yours out for a day of riding, only take all your stuff and make it a day of jetting, tuning, and thinking. Try to think about where your bike is now, and go get what jets/needles etc..you may need so you will have them.
I'm 100% certain that I am not where I can be yet....but I feel a whole lot better about things now that I have at least a direction. Theres light at the end of the over-n-under!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
You will need to bump up the main, not the pilot. The single tapers do tend to lean the bike on top, noticeably.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's very common to have the jetting correct and still see spooge. Spark plug heat range is a common cause as well as the fuel being run. It can be fairly tough to get your bike spooge free on today's pump fuels because there are always portions that won't vaporize and burn. Catalytic converters take care of those heavy ends on our EFI cars but spooge is the result on two strokes.

Don't forget that once the silencer packing gets saturated it may never stop spooging even if everything is spot on.

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
I repacked the silencer about three months ago. The bike has spooged so much the last couple rides it probally needs repacking again. Anyway, thanks for all your help. First of all, I think I'll try the straight taper needle and raise the main to see what happens. I may even try a mix of pump gas and race fuel after that. I'll let you know what happens sometime next week.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Rich beat me to it....

Repacking & fiberglass is near and dear to my heart..... On my 380 I did it once every month or 2 depending on how often I was riding...... My bike always ran rich on the top and I never had a drippy silencer.....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Strick
Hey Rich, what are you doing over here? I didn't think orange was very becoming on you!;)

There are one or two Euro bikes I wouldn't mind owning :)

ktmlc4.jpg

tc610.jpg

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
1368J

Hey Strick, any idea where I can get this needle (actually I'm looking for a 1369J)? I've been using the brass CEK (from Sudco) needle -- which is, I believe, a 1369J -- and I've been very happy with it; I'd like to find an anodized (more durable) version. I am currently trying the 1369LS needle (from Honda), which I just can't seem to get to work like the CEK does.

Top Bottom