Cant weelie , driving me nuts

ezandeve

Jan 10, 2004
Cant weelie ,driving me nuts

Gday wheelie kings and wanabs(like my self,...not being sarcastic)
Just come back from a ride and have snaped my rear fender off trying to practice wheelies :pissed:
Ive been conciously trying to master them for the last couple of days and must say that I have noticed an improvement and a few thing Iv learned (for those in the same boat) is -1- Get that front wheel up high as soon as possible.I like to crawl along in second and pop the clutch, that way Ive still got quite a bit of rev range to play with as opposed to just winding on the throttle which revs out to quick.
-2- Its much easier practicing on a slight incline so the balance point isnt so far back.
-3-Throttle control and coordination!(spelling?)
Anyways, Im just about to quit in frustration because I just dont seem to be getting anywhere any more except looping over and as I mentioned before, Iv already snapped my fender (which is enough to heat me up) and the last thing I want is to mince up my subframe or coolers.
Also, what i find myself doing alot, is once Im up i tend to veer off course on an angle and have to stab my foot down to save me and I just cant seem to get the"dab the rear brake" to help because my instinct is to put my feet out or when I manage to,its way too much :bang:
If I wasnt worried about breaking something on me or the bike I would be so determened and just stick at it but nothing ever goes as hoped for and I just seem to be stagnating :bang: what do i do! give up (No way!...a voice in my head tells me) or is there hope yet.I need some inspiration from you kings out there that have been where i am, felt the same frustration and have made it through with a big smile on there face(Its an awesome feeling,wheeling) .Oh yeah, dont tell me to stand as iv already tried....no way, just doesnt feel right.
I hope you guys/girls can help me out which Im sure you can and also, sorry for blabering on for so long.
Thankyou
Regards Ez

Last edited by a moderator:

P455

Nov 16, 2003
Try dragging the rear brake WHILE doing the wheelie... I know how hard it can be to tell your foot to hit the rear brake when your brain is screaming to put your foot down! If you start out with your foot on the brake, dragging it slightly, it makes it much much easier to "dab" it a little harder to pull the front down. This helped me a lot. The KDX has plenty of low-end to overcome the brake drag, so that's no problem, and having that brake right there already working does wonders for confidence.

Other than that, it's just practice practice practice. I know you already knew that though.

dom

Dec 31, 2001
I'm far from a wheelie master but it sounds like you are going too slow. You don't say what bike you have but it is easier to power it up than clutch it. On my KDX it will power up in 1st on the flat or second on a hill. When I'm goofing around on little bikes (xr50, xr100) and I'm going slower I tend to veer left or right. On my KDX going faster the gyroscopic forces of the motor keep it going straight. It is also possible that you are yanking up on the bars, which shouldn't be needed.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I would practice touching the rear brake. Don't try to ride the wheelie right now, just pull it up and then immediately touch the rear break to bring it back down. What I like to do is play "touch and go" with clumps of dirt, bumps, etc. I eyeball a particular point about 20-50 yards out, pull the front end up, and then touch back down right on the point, using the rear brake NOT the throttle. What you have to do is drill the rear brake into your subconscious so that when you start looping out, you subsconsciously and instinctively tap the brake. To develop this, practice under controlled conditions. Eventually, you'll be able to pick a point farther and farther away and wheelie up to it. Might take a few months.....

GS

Jun 29, 2003
Try pulling it up in an open area where direction doesn't matter too much. Then, when it veers, as it always will when you don't want it to, you just stay on the horse and go with it. Simply forget about the wander and after a few tries you'll notice a big reduction in PANIC as it veers and sorta begin to steer it instead of it leading and you following in sheer terror. No more dabbing!
Believe it or not I was able to wheelie forever when 16 yrs old..shiftn gears 1st through 5th and all...felt totally in control. That all ended when I inadvertently tapped 2nd one day at the very worst moment and bit it (Yamaha R5 street bike) BIG time. I am just now starting to regain a little courage with respect to wheelin' at the age of 48
Sad but true

billc

Mar 13, 2004
Some guys can wheelie and some guys can't. I'm one that can't. I had some friends that could ride a unicycle and I never could do that either.Years ago,I flipped my DT1 on the street doing a wheelie and ended up in the hospital.Ever since then I have been very nervous about wheelies.Be careful!

SoCalMatt

Dec 8, 2004
I don't think the unicycle thing makes a difference :) I can ride a unicycle and I can ride long wheelies on a bicycle, but can't just sit there in the balance spot on a dirtbike and ride a wheelie. I sure would like to learn how to do wheelies. They look fun, they look cool and could really come in handy I'm sure. I guess I have a fear of looping it and hurting myself and my bike. Maybe I need to loop it first so I can get over that fear or try doing them at a slower speed. I mean, I can do short standup wheelies at speed while flying on trails, but I just can't seem to get to that balance spot so that I can ride them for awhile.

So, I understand your frustration ezandeve :bang:

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
hey if you want to learn how to wheelie that bad, i was searching for things for my bike on E*** nad there is a video on there for sale called to Learn to Wheelie. When i saw it it reminded me of this post and many others that seem to pop up on here. Just thought i'd throw that out there for ya

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I had a '85 kdx with no mods and it was able to wheelie in third gear. This is my technique: Go along in second not accelerating hard like 1/4 throttle, leaning forward the entire time about half way through the gear lean back get your ass towards the rear fender and gas it hard. It will bring the front end up easily. Thats how I brought it up in 1st, second and third and even fourth gear. Fourth gear it wouldnt come up high but it came up. Just keep practicing. That is my technique for everybike I have owned. I do not reccomend the clutch for a person learning to wheelie. It is alot touchier and can really cause the bike to jump uncontrollably when not used right. I also recomend what NM_KDX200 stated it really helps with your confidence if you know you can bring the front down whenever you want.

Top Bottom