Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
Who do you have, and are they doing a good job. I'm asking because I have State Farm now and am getting frustrated with their service and how the rates keep going up here. (AZ)

Thx,

Dash

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
I have StateFarm, my rates haven't increased recently. Are they doing a good job? Who knows I haven't run into anything in a while. I took my car insurance over to them because my Allstate agent called me every three months to try to sell me something new. He did it one too many times and I told him to cancel my coverage.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Been with Amica since '93. They used to have some of the lowest rates. However they were very picky about your driving record. Their rates have increased over the years, but we've also moved twice. I don't know if they've relaxed their restrictions. We have been shopping around for another carrier, unfortunately no other company wants to carry our homeowners policy because we own a Rotweiller. :think

Amica's customer service has been excellent. When my wife's POS car turned into a car-b-q they had a check to us in two days for way more than it was worth. :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Car insurance = ripoff

You have to have it, you pay good money for it, but as soon as you need to use it you need an act of congress (or God!) to get any money back from them! Then they try to cut you loose!

Bastuds!:think

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
18yrs with AAA till I could'nt afford it!

then I was sucked in with© AIG cheap rates paid quickly on dear/ auto claim© One claim and they dumped me© went with Auto Owners save $300 over AIG every six months© could'nt tell you about there service, have'nt made a claim, and hope not to:<¤

monkeybutt

Jun 12, 2001
Insurance is not fun to pay for but nice to have when you need it. I would not say it's a rip-off, keep this in mind...

Say you have good coverage 100/300/100 , this translates into...

$100,000 per person, $300,000 maximum per accident bodily injury if you cause the accident this pays for medical ect. for the person you hit and their passengers.

The Last 100 is $100,000 property damage for their car and any other things their and your car hit or damaged because you caused the accident(like other cars,poles,electric boxes ect)

with this coverage your insurance company is bound legally to give you a max of $400,000 (300k max body injury+ 100k property damage)

If you pay $1000 every six months (which is alot) that's $2000 per year. At $2000 a year it would take 200 years to break even for the insurance company. So one serious accident and the insurance company will never make a dime off you.

Even a small payout say $10,000 property damage it'll take 5 years of premium to break even.

And on top of that think about all the insurance fraud, all the bad drivers ect.(not too easy to make money)
The company puts a big chunk of change on the table for you betting your not going to get in a accident and every time you speed, drop something and reach for it,don't look in your blind spot and mirror when changing lanes or just take chances in hope of getting home sooner you increase those odds they will need to pay out. Even if your the perfect driver and never had a ticket , no accidents ect, all those not so good drivers that do the above may take you out with them.

sorry so long just thought I'd shed some light on the company side of things.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Don't feel bad for the ins companies

Monkeybutt - Do you know that StateFarm made $408 million AFTER TAXES last year? And how about $1.03 BILLION in 1999. This is the company that I happily use and I assume the day I become unprofitable for them they will drop me. I'm not directing this at you but I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about the insurance companies, they seem to be doing ok! Don't get me wrong, I really like StateFarm because their rates seem in-line and my agent acts like he appreciates my business, but I'm just a number like everyone else.

WildChild

Apr 9, 2001
Re: Don't feel bad for the ins companies

Originally posted by RoadRash
Monkeybutt - Do you know that StateFarm made $408 million AFTER TAXES last year? And how about $1.03 BILLION in 1999.

That looks like a 50% drop in profit in 1yr. (would you want to be the one to explain this to your shareholders if you were CEO)

This is the company that I happily use and I assume the day I become unprofitable for them they will drop me.

Or raise your rates, as with any buisness when an avenue becomes unprofitable you charge more or move on to more profitable investments. So if you become a liability vs an asset they will most likely raise your rates or drop you.

I'm not directing this at you but I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about the insurance companies, they seem to be doing ok!

Of course they are that is why they raise rates on high risk drivers.

To make things clear "I do not nor have I ever worked for an insurance agency" I just feel every buisness is there to make a profit and I find nothing wrong with that. It seems that if a company makes alot of money (the whole purpose of a company) people want to punish them.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
If you are in the military, you should definately give USAA a shot. After being with them for a year, they moved me over to their prefered program and my premium was cut in half! I have had absolutely no problems at all. I had no idea who they were until a friend in my unit told me all about them. I am pretty happy with them, but we'll see what happens when I do make a claim...;)

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I have always had State Farm.

2 cars full coverage (99 Civic & 01 Ranger)
theft and comp on my bike 97RM

Not exactly sure of the amount but I think its somewhere around 150 a month.

It maybe a little high but even when my wife hit a parked car it didnt cost us a dime to fix the other car. We would have to pay the deductible to fix ours but I paid 100.00 to get it done on the side. Our rates didnt even go up after that.

It also seems like we get a refund every year. Not sure what they are for but they keep coming.

Oh my rate went up $10 a year when I moved. I guess its a good thing they dont do inspections because the area we came from wasnt nearly as nice as where we are now.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Re: Re: Don't feel bad for the ins companies

Originally posted by WildChild
I just feel every buisness is there to make a profit and I find nothing wrong with that. It seems that if a company makes alot of money (the whole purpose of a company) people want to punish them.
I'm not trying to punish anyone. I was merely trying to point out that the insurance companies are not struggling or on the verge of collapse simply because they offer insurance.

Now back to the topic, I like State Farm they treat me fairly while making butt-loads of cash off all of us. Now what is that saying about a frog and boiling water?:D

PS: Wildchild - there are more than a million non-profit companies in the US and the vast majority (I hope) are helping other people as opposed to profiting from them.

Last edited:

Duct Tape

Oct 19, 2000
The real problem...

You know the real problem is not the insurance, but the people who sue for outrageous amounts when they are in an accident. Most claims are legit, but that 10% that aren't, will usually make up for the rest plus some. And $7000 just to replace a bumper on a Porsche is crazy.

Tone

WildChild

Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Don't feel bad for the ins companies

Originally posted by RoadRash

PS: Wildchild - there are more than a million non-profit companies in the US and the vast majority (I hope) are helping other people as opposed to profiting from them.

I agree that there are many non-profit orginazations with the goals of helping people. I also believe there are many non-profits with members/employees who recieve a paycheck.(I won't name any names, wouldn't want Jesse Jackson coming after me) On the other hand insurances companies are a business with profits as thier goal.

I like State Farm they treat me fairly while making butt-loads of cash off all of us

As stated by Duct Tape fraud in claims is what we should be upset about not the profits of an insurance company. As I stated earlier they are there to make money.

BTW-I use Geico and recieve great rates. Have not had a claim yet though.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
You point about fraud is a good one, it seems to really hamstring some companies (insurance, medical, corrupt CFO's). I will now bow out of the discussion so the thread can stay on course, but then again this is the O T forum.:p

Top Bottom