carb help please

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
okay guys i have searched little luck i have a 2003 kdx220 bought it brand new about a year and a half ago when they were first relased i have about 70miles on it
i have a fmf gnarly pipe and silencer torque i have the rb carb mod done i have fmf torque reed and if runs like crap i think it is very lean it has a lean bog were should i start as far as jetting i think it has a 145 main in it and a 45 pilot i live in conn. its around 55degrees here what do you guys think shold i go to like a 158 main to get rid of the bog

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
70 miles?

What, only ride it one time? :ohmy:

Have you talked to Ron (RB Designs) about it?

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
I,m not the KDX guro on this board but to get you started, I would raise the needle. The needle is always my starting point. If you take the clip on the needle and lower it,(down one notch) you are actually raising the needle and this will richen the low to mid range. If it gets worse, take the clip and put it closer to the top (one notch higher than it was originally) now it is going to run leaner at low to mid range. This is only a starting point. If it starts to run better, you need to decide is it bogging down low (pilot jet) or after mid range to full throttle (main jet)
Good Luck!

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
thanx guys yeah i only ridden it once i should sell but i just dont have the heart to i love it does anyone have rons number and did anyone else have this problem after getting their carb back his email address would be perfect

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
kdxgolfer said:
thanx guys yeah i only ridden it once i should sell but i just dont have the heart to i love it does anyone have rons number and did anyone else have this problem after getting their carb back his email address would be perfect

OK, if you got the RB carb then you should start with the needle in #3, 40 pilot and a 155 main. Is Ron sending them out with the CEK needle still?

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
okay i think i have a 42 pilor and not sure about the main but i will check i am confused on how o change the needle position i take out the slide and needle and where is the clip located

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
First.....discover the .... key...'eh? And Maybe One Of These?

Ron's number is on his website. Try a search for it: rb-designs.

It will be hard to find (him or anyone else) without a 'dot' here and there..............

45 is pretty out of whack for a 220...as fred said.

Ron sends back his modified carbs with a 'best guess' on jetting, IF he has been given any information that allows him to guess at it at all.

The pilot circuit is a pretty big deal on one of ron's modified carbs. Much moreso than the oem pwk. The air screw will make quite large differences in response...clear up to&thru 3rd gear in mid-throttle positions. Little changes at a time...like 1/16 turn at a time. Ride it for a bit to get used to what the new setting does before you change it.

Yanking it around 1/4 turn at a time every 50' is an absolute waste of time.

KDXPAPI123

Nov 20, 2002
okay thanx guys right now there is flurries so i wont be able to mess around with it for a couple of days. When i do i will first see what jets are in there now then make changes from there. How do i change the slide position i am alittle confused on that. Should that be my first thing to try.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…