carb. help

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
I changed the pilot jet on my bike last night and the bike idles real high now. I cant get the idle to come down. I turned the idle screw about as far out as I can get it. The air screw is around 2 and a half out. I have know idea this is the first time this has happened to me. Please any ideas..

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
need to provide a little more info, what was the old pilot jet size and what was the new pilot jet size? When it's cold out the bike idles high until it warms up, have you tried warming it up good to see if it stops

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Did you take the slide out?

If so, did you properly place the white nylon cable retainer. The tang of the retainer MUST fit in the slot of the needle retainer nut.

If it don't, you'll get what's happening to your bike.

Also, if the slide was out make sure things a squeaky clean when you put them back together. Could be a piece of grit holding up the slide. Can't have that.

More likely the 'high idle when cold' idea that jamin is talking about. You can 'regulate' that with the kill switch if it's too high.

Hi idle on choke cold start IS a sign of a lean pilot. Mine does that regularly. It's right after it warms up though, so I just 'hannl it'!

Last edited:

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
It has noting to do with the pilot because I put the old one back in and it still reved high. The throttle seems to work fine, canyn when I had the carb apart the little silver float feel out. I cleaned it and put it back..

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
When you mentioned that the 'little silver float' fell out, are you referring to the slide? If so, without the engine running, when you open the throttle & let go of the grip, can you hear the slide snapping shut? If not, suggest you not ride until you inspect slide for a nick. It could be hanging up in the slide bore. :| Dangerous...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I think it's the float pin you're referring to (..silver float)?

Anyway, you didn't say whether or not you had the slide out. Yes? No?

Not to seem TOO simple, but there has been confusion over 'air screw' vs" 'idle screw' before on this forum. The A/S is brass, the idle screw is black and nylon. Sorry.....had to ask. :(

So..the slide?? Out or not? It's under the cap on top...it's attached to the throttle cable.

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
Stupid, stupid me. Well, I did have the slide out, two days playing around with this. The whole time I thought it had to be trash in the jets or slide sticking. A friend suggested my throttle cable my not have enough play in it. We loosened it some and that was it!! thanks yall.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sorry, but I don't think 'that was it'. Please do read my first response.

It isn't reasonable, nor likely that a previously working carb will need to have the cable adjusted after the carb is simply taken apart and put back together.

ASSUMING that:
  • 1. The carb worked ok before
  • 2. The slide was not simply removed, but also the cable was detached
  • 3. Correct attachment of the cable has not been verified

Then what you have is a mis-placed retainer tang in the needle retainer nut.

An adjustment to the throttle cable will seem to effect a 'fix'..but it won't be fixed! You will continue to have idle and response problems.

Please do remove the slide from the top of the carb and verify the proper assembly.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…