blodi

Jun 8, 2004
Hello, first of all I am a newbie to the motorcycle world. My dad gave me his 74 kaw 900 last fall and I have had some trouble with the bike running right. Basically its fouling plugs really badly. The bike was in Denver up at altitude and now I have it here at sea level in michigan, but the strange thing is you would think the bike would be running too lean down here after being up at alititude, but instead the plugs get al black and carboned up after about an hour of run time and then need to be replaced. And it ran fine up in Denver. I even tried running a hotter plug once to see if it would help, but the same thing happened. It also tends to bog a if it is at low rpm and I think lay into the gas hard.
So what adjustments need to be made? is there a good page on carb adjustment in general or and pointers you guys could give me? I know its kind of vague but any help would be great!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You'll probably get a better response at a vintage sportbike specific site, but I'll give you my quick opinion, as I owned one of those beast motors at one time.
The Z1 is very touchy to having a clean intake. Make sure your breather is clean. You may even want to make a change to four seperate intakes.
Take the carb off and set the float heights. You'll need a good manual.
I would mount up new jets of the same size first. Yours may be varnished up.
Then I would get a good vacuum gauge and balance out the carbs.
I know the advise I'm giving seems backwards, but you need to start out with the carb proper before going further, ie...jetting changes, etc.

The Z-1 is by far one of the best engines Kaw made in that decade.

Top Bottom