mdmader

Oct 9, 2001
I have a 91 CR250 that I took out this weekend and I’m having some problems with it. The previous week the bike ran flawlessly with out any problems. However, on Sunday it was running very rough and was burning through a lot of fuel. Normally I run NGK BR8EG plugs in it but I go around I tried a cheaper plug, NGK BR8ES. I maintained the same ratio 40:1 BelRay MC1. At 3/4 to full throttle the bike would run fine. At lower RPM the bike would smoke a lot and burble quite a bit. It was burning through twice as much fuel as it should have.

Went back to the trailhead and switched back to NGK BR8EG plug and tried to tune the air and fuel ratio to smooth it out. No luck. At higher RPM the bike would smooth out and run just fine. Any lower and the burble was back.

My first though was that the float was sticking but I didn’t see the carb pee any. I’d blame it on the jetting but just a week before the bike ran fine.

I did notice that there was a small air leak between the carb and reed cage. Wouldn’t that cause the bike to rev to the moon? I tightened it up but still no luck.

The top end isn’t that old, maybe 10 but no more then 14 or 15 hours on it. The air filter was clean. I’m out of ideas. Should I just spend the money and have the carb rebuilt or do any of you have any other thoughts at what I should look at.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
If your jetting was fine the week before,with the same temps,same fuel and oil,your right it is not the jetting.If you had a air leak you would know it up by the intake around the carb, the idle will not drop right away and the bike would rev irratically .Take the carb apart and take all the jets out and spray all the passages and jets with carb cleaner.Check your float height per:manual.Tip, when checking float height do not turn the carb completely upside down. Turn it until the tang pushes the needle down all the way,but the tang is resting on the pin,the pin should be extended. Check out your reeds also.Make sure your power valves are working properly.Did you try another br8eg? if not that would be my first try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom