125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
There is no one definite way to jet a carb. I wouldn't mess around with it unless you're having problems. If you are then describe them.

Toshiva

Jul 6, 2001
Well, I don't really know how to describe it, but I will give it a try...
When I pull the throttle, it doesn't have the pull that it used to... I just hear a big whoooooomp and the it gives me the power.... I guess it's a bit too lean... It is a 1998 Suzuki RMX, 2 stroke of course... and I really know that I can get a lot more power form it :p .... Any help or anything else you need to know, just ask... thanks a lot.....

P. S.: Sorry for my poor english... it is not my first language... :confused:

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Go to Eric Gorr's website , he has a tutorial that explains the basics of carb jetting.

If you use the same fuel, 2-stroke oil in the same ratio and have the same external conditions (temperature, pressure), then it's probably not a strict jetting question but some kind of malfunction. Clogged jets, wrong float height, and air leak can have the machine develop symptoms like you describe.

Toshiva

Jul 6, 2001
ok... today, I tried it, but I don't even know where's the jet, or the hole or the needle:( (well, I can see a niddle inside a box that looks like a zippo lighter, but don't know what to do with it...) Am I supposed to move it?

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If you are that unsure of how to change jets in your bike, or even if they need changing, don't do anything until you get a manual for the bike, and have someone with a little knowledge on the subject help you. If you screw the jetting up very baddly, you can destroy the engine.

Your statement that "it doesn't have the pull that it used to" says that there is something besides jetting at work here. If it ran well before with the current jetting, it still should, so something else has changed. When was the last time the engine had a top-end done? Three years is a long time on a two-stroke top-end, even for a KDX 200:p , and their top-ends last longer than most two-strokes. I'll bet if you check the compression, you will find it is time for a new top-end, and after doing the top-end rebuild, your lost low-end pull will have returned. It is also hopeless to attempt to rejet a bike with a worn top-end. You may also want to thoroughly clean the carb.

Top Bottom