carb - needle bent like snake !!!

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
94 kx125.....broke down the carb of this bike I just picked up and the needle is wavy bent like a snake.....is that maybe the culprit of the bogging from closed to 1/4 open throttle ???? Also was pouring fuel out the carb vent.....maybe cause that ???

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The leaking fuel is likely caused by a bad float valve, or perhaps just some grit between the float valve and its seat. You will need to pull the carb off, then remove the bowl. The float valve is usually behind the float, at the rear center of the carb. Try cleaning the area where it seats with some carb cleaner and put it back together. That usually stops the leak.

The bent needle needs to be replaced. If it is not dropping into the needle jet properly, it certainly could make the bike run way too rich at 1/4 throttle.

FWIW, if you search at www.buykawaski.com you can view parts diagrams of your bike and its carb.

Not sure if this will work, but this should take you to the carb diagram https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemS...Model&cGroupID=&CFID=6189241&CFTOKEN=42210929

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
If the slide needle is that bad it will have scraped the inside of the nozzle as well and both parts will need replacing. A tiny bit of wear here will make the jetting seem very rich and very likely cause bogging

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Exactly my next question pesky !!!! The needle is bent in such a way that the point will rub all the way down the nozzle and I knew that couldn't be good. I found a used 94 carb on "sleazbay" aka ebay, and figured I could make one really good carb outta the two. I was the only bidder so I got it for $31 shipped......the price I was gonna pay for just a needle shipped. I took a look at the needle valve for the float and it looks ok. No grooving on the seat....the little pin goes in and out with ease..... What about the float itself ? It "looks" to be a bit "rough".....literally, like someone took sandpaper to it. Would it be accurate to assume that if the boyency of the float was compromised in any way, say by a microscopic pin hole or slit , that the float could fill with fuel causing it to "open" the valve calling for fuel and therefore overfilling the bowl ??? Maybe Im overthinking it, but supposedly there are no stupid questions lol....right ???

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
if you have fuel inside the float it will still be there when you strip the carb so a shake will let you hear it. The float needle can look perfect and still leak and the spring inside the needle can weaken over time and cause a faulse fuel level much richer than normal. (I'm not a fan of used parts with an unknown history when is comes to metering fuel) also there can be a sealing O ring on lots of carbs around the needles seat that can shrink and leak (memory not good enough to know if your seat is removable or not) hope this helps

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
It absolutely helps ! I just can't thank you and all the others who take their time to read and answer my poorly typed, often misspelled and almost always uninteresting posts enough. While my service manual is surely a gift from God, it did me little good 3 or 4 years ago until I found tgis site. I've not only saved thousands in labor charges, but I've learned a sheetload and went from being scared to death when a provlem with one of my bikes would present itself to feeling prepared and somewhat confident. So again, yes it helps....it helps a lot !

Top Bottom