carb needle removal

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
Ok, I think I'm going nuts. How do I remove the needle so I can check the clip position? There is a small hex "looks like 8mm" under the spring but I can't seem to get the cable disconnected. The manual I have just says "remove" I guess I'm a dumba$$ because after installing a new piston and ring and reinstalling the KIPPS parts I can't seem to figure out this darn needle. Can you folks give me a hand? :bang:

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
Pull the spring and the white plastic spring cup/retainer up out of the slide. Some folks use hemostats to clamp on to the cable to keep the cup/spring up out of the way. Then push the cable back down into the slide far enough (about 1/4") so that it can be released. Use a 6mm socket to remove the piece you see with the hex head. The needle will just be sitting inside this.

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
Thanks guys, "feeling like and idiot" my luck, I'd try to turn the hex and break it off. :|

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Definitley use the 6-point socket, make sure you put some anti-sieze compound on it when you put it back in. don't tighten it much. I barely torqued mine and it seized. Had to cut a slot in it and use a flat blade screwdriver to get it out. The metal they make it out of is crap.

Mike.

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
Well, now I now why I was running a bit rich. The carb was modded by the fella before meto the 36mm throat dia. and so was the jetting. It always ran good and never fouled plugs but the plug was never gray/tan it was always black. I have a 160 main and the needle was set at the forth position from the TOP. I moved it to the third or middle slot. Hopefully it should run better now. Thanks guys for you help. :cool:

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
you gotta, push the cable to the bottom, and then slide out out the slot.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…