Carb overflow leak, quick question...

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
Hi all,
I was wondering what the difficulty level was reguarding carb tuning, I have never messed with one before. I believe the float is not seating properly and I get a leak sometimes when it isn't running. I have the parts diagram and the write-up from the tips page. Curious to hear what you guys think before I tackle something new.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Its very easy. Just remove the slide from top of carb, loosen the clamps. Then wiggle the carb out of the boots (you could just turn it so the bowl faces you, but I much prefer taking it out). Take off the float bowl via the 4 phillip screws. The float will be lookin right at you! CAREFULLY remove the pivot pin that holds the float, it just pushes out. Then lift out the float and valve, and blast the entire carb really good with carb. cleaner. Might as well clean all the other jets out while you're in there. Make sure the rubber tip on the needle (comes out hanging on the float) isn't worn out or torn etc. Reasemble and check the float level, adjust if necessary. Thats it! Put it back together and crack open a cold one. ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
RE: I get a leak sometimes when it isn't running

Pretty common. A bit lower float level may help (the needle&seat being ok). Spec is 16mm. Make sure it's at least that. Measured with the float tang just touching the spring loaded pin on the needle. The mold lines on the floats will be parallel to the carb body. Adjust by bending the tang, NOT the float arms.

As long as you have it apart, wrap a strip of wet-n-dry (say 400) over a cotton swab and burnish the needle seat.

Clean. Reassemble. Double check float level.

Use caution putting the bowl on. You can bend the float assy if you're hamfisted with it.

Use some allen head screws on the fuel bowl when you put it back together. Much easier to remove on the trailside with a ball-end allen with the carb in the boots. That will help keep dirt out of it.

Use some never seize on the threads of the screws in any case. Not uncommon for them to be stuck so bad that you'll twist the head right off on the first take-apart.

Top Bottom