Carb slide cutaway modification

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I am using an aftermarket PWK carb on my Husky. The original cutaway and pilot jet was far too rich, so I purchased a leaner pilot jet and larger cutaway slide (form 6.0 to 7.0) The idle improved as expected however this did not seem to improve the 1/8 throttle range, as a mattter of fact it made it richer. Am I thinking backwards?? Does a larger cutaway result in a richer mix???

THX

Chris

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Chris hmmm? thats odd your right on the cutaway. Ive only had to mod a slide a few times and it seems to work over such a small throttle range it wasn't worth it. I would think a leaner jet needle "straight" section would be more effective. Not to mention much cheaper as those slides are expensive.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Unless the big round file cuts too much..$ :eek:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
LOL i did that too-so i filed the hole bottom of the slide 1mm to lower the cresent part-seemed to work:)

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Well, I have a coulple of slides so destroying one is not a huge problem. Yeah I tried the needle thing too. That is why I went with the slide. The problem is in a really narrow band, however it is right where I ride when crusing down the local dirt roads in my neighborhood. Can't do more than 50, else the neighbors get really annoyed.

Chris

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…