Carbon Fiber E-line pipe protector burning

ll300mxc

Jun 15, 2001
My carbon fiber pipe protector by E-line is slightly burning. Has anyone else had this problem? According to the plug my bike is not running lean, but the pipe is getting very hot and turning purple near the cylinder. It also has a small crack in pipe (getting repaired)! Could the crack cause the pipe to overheat or did the pipe overheating cause the crack? The bike at slow speeds ie. tight trails does not burn the protector. But any motocrossing burns the hell out of it and quick. Any replies would be helpful.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
They usually stink for a while especially when they get really hot - I think it's the resin not the carbon fiber. Mine usually wind up being slightly burnt closer to the header

I have had several and they've all done it - doesn't seem to be a problem after you have some time on it.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Hmmm, someone else might be able to add to this, but one of the things ELine touts is that their guard holds in heat and "theoretically" increases power, I would imagine that your cracks are fatigue related - are the mounts and O Rings in good condition, pipe straight? I know FMF had some crack problems with some pipe runs - is that what you are running, or stock?

Last edited:

jalbert

Jul 20, 2001
allset

i have been running the e-line pipe gaurd on all my ktm's since 99, only problem i had was that they eventually crack and fall apart for continuous bashing :( :mad: :ugg:

bigcr

May 16, 2000
E-line pipe guards

I've had two e-line pipe guards on my CR500 and both lasted about 3 rides
before they burned up and fell off near the headpipe. The pipe was jetted
properly too. The guys at e-line could only say "500's do that" and couldn't
come up with a solution.:ugg:

Top Bottom