Carbon Fiber Reeds

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I just replaced the stock reeds in my KDX220 with Carbon Tech Low Tension Carbon Fiber Reeds. I figured since they were low tension they would only help the low end. But they helped the top end even more!!! I got a small increase in low end power but a huge increase in top end power!!! This bike runs like an MX bike with low end!!! With an FMF Rev pipe and a 12 tooth front sprocket, I was pulling 4th gear wheelies!!! With the Rev pipe, stock 13 tooth sprocket, and stock reeds, it was a struggle to get a wheelie in 3rd gear!!

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
I just installed my new FMF Rev pipe and man, it EASILY stand up on 3rd gear. I still need to check my jetting when that white s*** will melt!!!. I have the rev pipe, main jet #148, stock reeds and stock silencer, so I dont understand why you can't do it before....

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
he couldn't probably due to not having it jetted properly.
I also have the low tension reeds but didn't like how they flutterred a lot (you can hear it). Yes it did help out top end power also. But to give them more tension I backed them up with cut down sections from my previous reeds. The power is still good but without the fluttering.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
I was just wondering is it hard for most people to pull 4th gear wheelies on the KDXs? My 220 could pull OK wheelies in 4th gear with FMF gnarly with stock 13 tooth sprocket and stock reeds and it could easily pull 3rd gear wheelies no problem. i never use the clutch for wheelies and im not sure if it was jetted correctly because i didnt change it since i bought it used. so does my bike have unusual power?

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Talko, What rear sprocket do you have? I have the stock 47. I also weigh 200lbs. I don't know if that has an effect. I would think a 150 lb. person would pull wheelies much easier than a 200 lb. person. If you look at power to weight ratio, the rider weight has a definite effect. Your probably 250 lbs., right?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I'm not certain about that theory.
Ever ride a well jetted KX65? can't keep the front end down, but a kid can. weird.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by G. Gearloose
I'm not certain about that theory.
Ever ride a well jetted KX65? can't keep the front end down, but a kid can. weird.
That got me thinking. I know that whenever I lent my YZ80 to the guys to ride (briefly) they complained of the same thing. I never noticed it being a problem.
Now, stop & think for a second.
These bikes are a great size for those of us to about 5'4"-5'5". After that, you're running into "too tall" syndrome. What do you do when you feel cramped in the car? Move the seat back (where possible). So at a guess when you sit on a bike too small for you, you sit to the back, lighting up the front wheel - hence the front coming up for full-size adults & not us vertically challenged folk. Make sense or female logic?

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
Actually Tom i wiegh pretty close to u, im 190. im not a small 15 year old like u thought. And i too have a 47 rear sprocket.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I haven't noticed the fluttering. I'll listen closer for it next ride. Did you put the metal stoppers back on with the new reeds? The directions said to use them.

I don't know why I couldn't get 3rd gear wheelies easily before. Maybe my jetting was off slightly, but now it's perfect with the carbon fiber reeds?? My main is 1 step richer than stock, 148 I think. The pilot is stock. I had the needle clip at #4 but it was loading up slightly and would take a couple gears before it would clean up and really scream after putting around for a while. So I put it back to stock #3 groove. I haven't tried it yet. I'm guessing it should stay crisp and clean now. Maybe now I'll get 5th gear wheelies? Dream on!!!

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Tom, I also have Carbon Tech reeds on my bike. But, I have the high tension ones becuase I was expecting to get more top-end. And, oh yeah, I did get A LOT more top-end! I know what you mean by pulling 3rd gear wheelies, it never used to do that before. I also added a Pro Circuit pipe/silencer.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Jaguar, Can the fluttering have something to do with the 200's larger carb?? Or do your friends with 220's also experience this???

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Yeah, the wheelie thing always amazed me with the KDX. The 220 I once was riding was 100% stock, and could do 4th gear wheelies effortlessly. I could pull up in fifth too... that was work, but once you got it up, you could just keep it there forever. That is if you had the balls to go one wheel at 55mph! Takes some getting used to. ;)

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
are the CR150Fs that are coming out the same size as the CR80s? do u think a tall rider would have trouble keeping the 150s front end down? they are supposed to be making the CRF to be competitive in the 80 class so it should be pretty even powerwise but im guessing it wont have as much of a hit as the 80 does. i think a taller rider would have an easier time keeping the CRF front end down than on the CR. what do u think?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…