KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I was just searching for reeds, and I found a new one I have never seen before. Carbon Tech Reeds. Does anyon ehave any info for these? I am getting reeds really soon, and I thought I was getting Boyesen Pro series, But I think these might be better. I am interested in the mid tension carbon tech reeds. Im not looking at that other company reeds (I forget the name right now), because you need the whole reed cage, and I cant afford it.

These will be matched with a PC Pipe that I am ordering ASAP. Does anyone have any jetting recomendations for this combo?

Thanks for the info!

These will be put on a 2003 KDX200.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by KDXFreestyle
Does anyone have any jetting recomendations for this combo?

Try this..

Main 148-160
Pilot 35-48
AS .5 - 2.254
Slide 5,6 or 7
Needle 1173K, 1174K, CEK, CEJ, CEL, clip 1,2,3,4, or 5 ;)

You've been here long enough, you really should have known. In jest, of course!

But you're in luck, for your combination of riding style, terrain, aftermarket parts, altitude, himidity, temperature, you can utilize the exact same method explained in here: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ choose 'tech tips' then 'carb tuning'.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I know I shoul dunderstand jetting, but it jus tmind boggles me for some reason. I can understand other complicated stuff, but jetting kills me. I understand the basics, but thats about it. BTW, is that a STARTING point.. as in a little rich?

Any more input is appreciated on these reeds!

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
Ok, how 'bout this...

Read what is available...4-5 times
Understand what your setup is...entirely.
Figgure out what the symtoms are..
Devise a plan of action...

Share the symtoms, setup and plan with your buds on JustKDX if you are not confident to just do it.

In order of increasing scariness the following lie..
1) Put the pipe and reeds and run it as is.(since we know you havn't deviated from stock much)
2) pursue jetting according to reliable methods and advise.
3) use somebody's off-cuff recomended jet set.

Put the parts on and do a plug chop already....chop chop before it snows!

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I changed from stock to Carbon Tech Low Tension reeds. Made a big improvement!!! I was expecting only a low end increase. I got a slight low end increase along with a huge top end increase!!! And they were cheep!!! I say go for it!!!

Tom L.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I found the Boyesen pro reeds cheap on rocky mountain... Ordered them for 40 bux plus 6.33 shipping. thanks for the replies!

Should they come with jetting instructions?

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by KDXFreestyle
Should they come with jetting instructions?

Yes, but expect to be unsatified with the instuctions when compared to the work that CDave put into the afformentioned instructions.

Expect no aftermarket part to contain jetting instructions that truly optimize the power of your bike, because whether you crash because a)your not used to the power or b)melt the top end, they really don't want to ever hear from you again.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." A. Einstein

I read this somewheres once or twice. Hhhmmmm....where was that?

Reeds are 'better' (or not) depending on what you want them to do.

'...chop chop before it snows.'

Good humor! ;)

Your jetting will be fine as is. Well, as fine as it's been......and I remember you saying (by extensive plug examination ;)) that your current setup is right on the money!

No worries! No mind-boggling required!!

Last edited:

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
lol... its not right on the money. by what the guy at the dealer told me, he said my bike is running just a littl ebit lean, but I think that could be because of e running my gas at 52:1. im gonna run it at 40:1 from now on, except for break in, which I will do 32:1.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Gee..here we go agin. You should know this by now.

IF 52:1 is 'a little bit lean,' then anything less (like 40/32:1) is more lean! NOT less.

IF the subject is air/fuel mixture. The terms rich & lean shouldn't be applied to premix ratio (which is different from air/fuel 'ratio').

Last edited:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
cc said---Gee..here we go agin. You should know this by now.

IF 52:1 is 'a little bit lean,' then anything less (like 40/32:1) is more lean! NOT less.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be quite some time before the pebble is snatched. IMHO! ;)

Zforty5

Oct 6, 2003
Location Riverside California.

45 pilot, 155 main, stock needle with the clip in the middle position. Remove the air box lid.
Run the Gnarly woods (AKA Torque pipe) from FMF. This pipe is made of 18 guage metal and will not dent as easy as the Pro-circuit pipe will.
Pro-circuit spark arresstor, 50:1 pre-mix using Bel-Ray H1R 100% synthetic.
My bike has tons of low/midrange power and still tops out at 71 mph.
No bog, no hesitaions, just great roll on power.

As a side note, check with Racetech.com and use thier online fork and shock spring calculator to find the right springs for your weight.

Suspension is always overlooked as a perfomance gain. You can't go fast if it don't handle.

http://www.racetech.com/index.asp

Top Bottom