Carburetor Problems

shawn4497

Apr 19, 2009
I just bought a 2003 YZ125 and can not get fuel to the intake. I have fuel getting to the bowl but when i twist the throttle nothing shots into the intake. I have cleaned all the jets and everything seems to be free. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks, Shawn

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
From your description, I assume your talking about twisting the throttle when the bike is not running. If so, this is not a four stroke. You don't have an accelerator pump. No fuel will squirt into your intake when you twist the throttle. The air passing through the carb creates a low pressure that sucks the fuel mixture up through the jets.
Are you having problems starting the bike? If so, you'd normally start by cleaning the carb and particularly the pilot jet, assuming you have spark.

shawn4497

Apr 19, 2009
yes that makes since but what else would cause it to not get fuel i can try to flood it but nothing. I am getting a good spark. If the air filter is off will that cause a problem starting it?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Your carb is most likely clogged. Remove the carb and clean out the pilot jet and pilot air circuit. Make sure your top end,(rings) are sealing correctly and your reed valves are in good shape and sealing against the reed block.

If you are not sure what any of these things are or where they are located, you need to buy a service manual.

Like 2strokerfun said, you don't have an accelerator pump so you can twist the throttle all day long until your hand falls off and it won't flood the engine.

shawn4497

Apr 19, 2009
I have cleaned the carb all the way through. I pulled the reeds out and cleaned them and the seem to be sealing fine. How would i check to see if the rings are sealing?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
1) take hose off carb and turn on petcock. Are you getting fuel? If yes, go to 2). If not, take petcock off tank and clean throroughly
2)Take carb off or turn sideways. Take bottom off. Remove main jet and pilot jet. Soak in carb cleaner. blow them clean. Look through them towards a light. Can you see clean hole all the way through them?? If so, proceed to step 3. If not, repeat step 2.
3) Reinstall jets. Turn carb back rightside up. Attach gas line. Turn on petcock. Is gas flowing out? Does the gas stop when you raise the float with your finger? If not, you need to remove float needle and seat and clean or replace. Also, measure float height at point where needle first contacts the seat when you raise the float. Set according to manual. (generally, the metal tang the floats attach to should be parallel to the bottom of the carb when you raise float up and needle touches the seat, but manual will give precise measurement). If all checks out, reassemble carb.
4) Put new spark plug in--brand new. Turn air screw in all the way, then back it out 1-1/2 to 2 turns. Turn on gas. Lean bike to left side about 10 seconds. Turn on choke. Do not touch the throttle--not one little bit. Kick bike over a few times.
5) Report back and let us know If it starts

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
shawn4497 said:
I just bought a 2003 YZ125 and can not get fuel to the intake. I

Did you test ride before buying? Has the bike been started since you bought it?

shawn4497

Apr 19, 2009
Ok guys i bought a complet OEM re-build carb kit and still nothing i try to start it i dont even touch the throttle and it is fouling my plugs. :bang:

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
How can it fould plugs when its not evan running? :coocoo:
Is it flooding itself? maybe you need to do some reed work.

shawn4497

Apr 19, 2009
im not sure but when i put a new plug in and kick it over a few times i pull the plug out and it is soaked with gas.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…