Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
From Today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2005-11-29-carmichael-future_x.htm?csp=34

Supercross champ looking ahead to 4-wheel challenges
By Amy Rosewater, Special for USA TODAY
What do you do when you're 26 and have won virtually every race there is on two wheels?

Ricky Carmichael holds up the AMA No. 1 plate after clinching the 2005 AMA 250cc Motocross Championship, his sixth straight title.
By Larry Lawrence, AMA Pro Racing

You start thinking about racing in NASCAR.

That's what Ricky Carmichael says he hopes to do someday. Carmichael, a six-time AMA 250 motocross champion and the winningest rider with 129 victories, has already tested with one NASCAR team and is making inroads with others. His contract with Suzuki expires in 2007, and Carmichael plans to honor that commitment.

"Definitely, I'm interested in NASCAR," Carmichael said in a telephone interview earlier this week. "I've had a good opportunity to talk to some folks and it's something I'd like to try."

Carmichael has never sat behind the wheel for an auto race. He did, however, test a Late Model, a stock car often used as a steppingstone to NASCAR's top circuits, for Ray Evernham in August.

The transition from two wheels to four was an adjustment.

"It did feel fast," said Carmichael, who is more accustomed to launching motorcycles into the air on man-made dirt tracks than he is at turning left around oval tracks in cars. "It was just fun. It was challenging for me. It was a lot harder than people think. People say, 'Oh, you just get in and turn left.' But it ain't that way, let me tell you."

Carmichael got in touch with Evernham, the former crew chief for Jeff Gordon who runs his own NASCAR Nextel Cup operation, through Kasey Kahne, who drives for Evernham. Carmichael said he also has spoken with J.D. Gibbs, son of Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs and president of Gibbs Racing, about potential rides.

At the moment, he's focused on the Amp'd Mobile World Supercross GP Series, which begins Saturday in Toronto."I can't get ahead of myself," he said. "Motocross is what I've always done and it's what I love." (Related story: "Tiger Woods of Motocross" sets sights on Carmichael)

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Musta got hit in the head.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Good for RC. Go where the money is.

I'll have another sport to root against him in.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I'm the only one in my family who doesn't watch NASCAR, and the only one who rides motorcycles. About a month ago, my father-in-law and wife said they saw RC on television show (Speed) and they made a comment about him making a move into the Craftman Truck Series in 07. I just dismissed it, because well I had heard nothing about it on here or anywhere else. I also thought they were jusy playing with me, because I tell them I'll watch a race when they start making right hand turns. I still haven't sat thru all of a Road Course race.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, there is a huge overlap in the skills that make a great rider and a great driver. The dude is a natural, like Mike 'The Bike' Hailwood or Jeff Ward. If it's got wheels, Ricky can keep it closer to the limits without crashing than any of us mere mortals. Bascially, he's wired better than we are. I figured when he retired from MX, he'd just lay low. But compared to what he's been doing, NASCAR will be easy and will pay alot better.

dirtrocks

Jul 7, 2005
i hope he does go to nascar because nascar is a high dollar sport, i watch it alomst everyweekend and i harldry watch supercross due to it being on dig cable and sat. because i only have basic cable.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
I will never understand NASCAR, or at least watching it. I suppose driving would be much more interesting. I have a friend who is really into it, and I have tried to watch several times and it just bores the hell out of me. But what do I know, I also can't sit through football games.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I like to watch Nascar, Tennis, Golf thus I digress, psych! I can't believe you were buying that, if it was true I musta got hit in the head.

brit yz125

Jan 7, 2005
So does that mean Bubba won't go to Nascar? Can you imagine the embarrassment if they both went to Nascar and RC beat Bubba there aswell?

Last edited:

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Yeah, you can be 60 years old and still race Nascar. Don't see many people over 30 doing SX though. Higher dollar sport with lots of years to look forward too. I guess retiring at 27 with a fat stack of cash isn't desirable anymore? Hmmm.

I don't watch Nascar because of two things. One, it's way way way tooo commercialized. Each year it takes another step toward exploring more markets and a step away from actual racing (restrictor plates? Come on). The local dirt track is where your REAL grass roots, run whatcha brung, I came here to win that $1500 purse racing goes on.

The other thing about NASCAR...I can't relate to any of the cars. A 2006 Ford Taurus with a tube frame chassis and carbed V8. Right. I loved the idea of "STOCK" car's actually being stock cars that any one of us could go buy. That led to factories building better cars. Now the only improvements the big three make are smoother body lines. I want my Taurus equipped with the 700HP, RWD option!

Micah

mc916

Aug 14, 2005
I was sorta hoping when RC retired from mx that he'd race off road and kick evryone's ass in gncc's and hare scramble's.I'm sure team Suzuki could find a spot for him.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I just can't get into Nascar because of all of the "restrictions" they have. All teams must run same gear ratios, same tire compounds, etc.. I guess there is some reason to bunch them all up, and not give the drivers a choice in what kind of tire or gear ratio at a track they might want to run? Or mabey they do it to make things easier for the teams, so things won't be so chaotic on race day?

They say if you can drive on the dirt by the seat of your pants, your just about ready to make the switch to asphalt. I'd like to see RC do well, but I would rather see him make a go a some SuperMoto or Woods racing. For all I know, the guy is probably a little tired of the bike scene after twenty some years of competitive racing, I'm sure he's ready for a little break. A step back for a little while never hurt anyone.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
RC has already proven he is the best dirt bike rider of all time. If he attacked GNCC or any other dirt event (endurocross?) with the same dedication as he has with MX, he would dominate. If he did not take it seriously and just went out there for fun, he would probably still be in the hunt for a victory against the long time offroad pros.

I would love to see him do some non-MX dirt bike events after he retires from MX/SX. But the money he could make in NASCAR far surpasses anything he would be paid doing GNCC, WORCS, etc...

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
If does, I hope he leaves a little time to run a few 125 & 250 races in his retirement...maybe do a
Doug Henry thing...(Sno-mobiles back to Motorcycles)

Top Bottom