Carmichael to race both classes this summer

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
Link
April 1 , 2003

Carmichael to race both classes this summer

Racer X has learned that Ricky Carmichael, the AMA National Motocross Champion six times running, as well as the two-time THQ/AMA Supercross Champion, is going to try something truly amazing this summer: Carmichael is going to campaign both the 125cc and 250cc classes in the AMA/Chevy Trucks U.S. Motocross Nationals in an attempt to be the first rider ever to win both titles in one season.

And with American Honda's blessing, it will be Carmichael - not Ernesto Fonseca - who will debut the CRF250R in America on May 11 at the Glen Helen National. And if that's not enough, RC will then climb aboard a CRF450R to race the 250 class as well!

According to a source very close to RC, "I've been hearing so much this about Bubba and so much of that about Chad Reed that I thought, 'The hell with it,' and will take it to both of them in the nationals. I'm in shape, I know the tracks, and I'm tired of hearing how they're going to beat me this summer or next year or whatever. So I'm just going to take the race to both them at the same time."

Bubba, of course, is defending 125 National MX Champion James Stewart; and based on his two consecutive wins over Carmichael in 250 SX, Reed needs no introduction. Stewart will be riding a Kawasaki KX125 this summer while Reed will campaign a Yamaha YZ250.

Ironically enough, Carmichael is allowed to ride both classes based on a new AMA rule that was passed to try to get Stewart more time on a 250. Before this season, riders could enter both classes in supercross, but they had to choose one or the other for outdoor racing. It was changed in the hopes that Stewart would moonlight in the 250 class later on in the summer and thus be ready to ride the big bike in September for Team USA at the 2003 Motocross des Nations, set to take place in Belgium.

But back to Carmichael: Why a pair of thumpers? The champ apparently made a deal with Honda that he would park his two-stroke and promote their thumpers, but only if he could ride both classes and be the only one on the new CRF250R. His teammate Fonseca will this campaign the CR250 two-stroke, while Factory Connection's Mike LaRocco, Travis Preston and soon-to-join Kevin Windham will ride 450s as well.

Even though there are still four rounds of supercross racing left to go, Carmichael is set to begin testing and training today, because the Glen Helen opener is just 41 days away.

:) :) :)

APRIL FOOLS!!!!

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
RC is the man, If he hasn't gained your respect yet, he never will and who cares if he does.

Two perfect outdoor championships in one season, think about how that compares to other motorcycle greats. Completing the perfect season last year is quit a acomplishment and has never been done before.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I just signed a four year deal with Yamaha to race both classes, so RC will have some serious competition. :thumb:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
Hey Vic....Can I get your autograph before you get famous :)

Do you have a ticket? :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
;)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
It's too bad the rules don't allow it. Freddie Spencer did it years ago on the roadracers, and it would be cool if that feat could be duplicated in the dirt!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
It's the Bob Hannah rule. He came close to winning all 3 (when there were three) outdoor championships back in the day.

Kirklandrock

Oct 17, 2001
Yea,
that will give RC a good excuse when Chad Reed cleans his clock outdoors this year.. "Dude, that 125 moto just took too much out of me"
Supercross isnt over yet....... only 16pts. between them "IF" Reed keeps it up and "IF" Carmichael makes a boo boo, We could see the 1st ever World SX/GP and USSX champ.............
Just My .02
Joe

Top Bottom