Jan 10, 2006
I know there has been SEVERAL discussions about oils to run but I have a simple question that should not cause a war of opinions on the subject. Sometime ago I posted up that I would be using high quality motor oil for my case instead of the $5 and $8 per qt. stuff at the local shop. At the end of the debate, the go for it's won. I recently say a post that I now can't find that said it is okay as long as you use an oil with ATF F (or something like that) so I look on the bottle and cannot find this or anything close anywhere. It is Castrol GTX 10w40 that I have been changing every week. Where should I be looking on the bottle?? :|

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
ATF F is Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid. It is another type of fluid that people often run in their transmission on 2 stroke bikes.

You won't find ATF F on your 10W40 engine oil.

Run the 10W40, it will be fine, you're confusing details that are completely separate, but on the same subject.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Transmission fluid is oil, but is a much lighter oil, more like hydraulic oil. The nice thing about transmission fluid is it makes your clutch work better as it is specifically designed for wet clutches. It may not protect the gears quite as well though, because it is so much thinner. I haven't heard of any major problems from those who run it though.

Top Bottom