tonto

Sep 23, 2003
few new images of the case welded with alluminum weld. the broken peice wasnt even used after 'someone' melted it into a ball trying to heat the rest of the case to a tempature where the weld would bond. a mold was made from the inside and filled with alluminum weld, then dremeled out and polished a little.

http://xbiso.sf.net/kdx

tonto

Sep 23, 2003
Nope, it was some alluminum welding rods you use a propane torch with, heat the surface of what your going to weld to ~700F and the rods melt and bond to the the mating surface, pretty strong stuff too, its harder then the case alluminum.

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
tonto,

how is your case holding up? I was thinking about getting some of those myself, but I wanted to know if they worked well for someone else than the guy who does the demonstrations... How hard (or easy were they to use) What did you use to clean up the welds?(dremel?). Reason I ask is That I found an old suzuki quad racer 500 engine with a decent sized hole in the case.(i know, its an atv engine, but I was thinking of maknig a 'small' go kart out of it. might be a cool project...)

Thanks

Eric

tonto

Sep 23, 2003
OEM piston, piston skirts broke off, blowing a hole in the case, im replacing with a wiseco piston kit, a cometic top end gasket kit, and a new set of oem seals. This stuff isnt bad but the larger the object you need to weld the longer this stuff takes to get up to tempature. It took me nearly 10/15 minutes with 2 propane torches to get this up to tempature. The alluminum from the rod is more solid then the alluminum on the case, but the case isnt back together yet as im waiting on parts. And yeh i used a dremel with a tungsten carbide cutter, grinding wheel for smoothing, wire brush for polishing, and for the edge of the case a handfile and some emory cloth on a extremely flat surface, and checked levelness with a square to make sure i get a good seal.

Top Bottom