kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
I have a slight problem wiht my 1993 KDX 250. it seems the cases are leaking a little bit. just a dribble. i was thikning about just JB welding them together because there was a glue type material to stop leaking on them from the factory but it seems to have peeled off a little bit.It is leaking a little bit of gas, just enough to notice.Please if you have any info or ideas please let me know.
Thanx,
KDX leaker

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
The cases are leaking Gas?!?@?!!
Man you have trouble, I wouldn't want to start it!

I assume you mean the clutch cover or the centre engine cases are leaking tranny oil. You can effect a satisfactory repair without welding in most instances for a small leak. If you decide to weld then seal damage & distortion have to be accounted for. Though you may have less trouble with the cold welding ally stuff.

If you do decide to epoxy I always favour Devcon (aluminium fortified), which hangs around in intake & transfer ports of barrels indefinitely if applied correctly. You can find small tubes & you will reach for it latter in life once you own some.
It likes a clean rough surface to key into so be sensible here (hope you own a dremel grinder) & clean out any swarf from areas you can’t mask off. In some areas a few centre punch marks will aid a key.

Heck I’ve seen badly chain smashed cracked cases with a smeg load of garden variety araldite epoxy holding them together (not me) & still not leak so shouldn’t be a prob

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
sagesoffroadandstreet wrote:

What the last guy said, and what he did'nt say. If your cases are leaking gas when the bike sits, then they are also sucking air when the bike runs. This WILL get very expensive if it hasent already! if you suck air into the cases it leans out the air/fuel mixture & gets the cylinder temp hot enough to melt aluminum, (i.e. lean seizure). Please fix this soon and fix it right, the factory sealer that broke off is the thickness of your cases, jb weld might work for a bit but will make it that much harded to fix right in the future. Anyway, it probley just about time for a rebuild soon if its a kdx 250 with factory sealer still on the cases.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
I am not sure though. I parked it all winter long and forgot the gas on and went in the spring to start in at there was no gas on the gravel beneath is so i am not sure. It is almost like it only leaks sometimes.It is leaky right down from the pipe, which would be the crank case and not the gear case. Would it be ok to just leave it because it is only gas and it has been like this for over a year so i assume it would have already locked up if it was going to. It doesn't seem to over heat so i don't think that is a problem, but i guess i will have to look more into this when i rebuild it after the summer because it has never been rebuilt.Thanx for the help.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Kevin the first thing you need to do is ID exactly where the fuel is leaking. If it is leaking from the case then NO it's not OK to ride the bike the way it is. Like Sage said if its leaking fuel when its sitting it will be sucking air when it's running, causing a lean condition and some serious/expensive damage.

My advice would be to hold off riding the bike until you positively ID where the fuel is coming from and take it from there.

David

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Run'er till she dead! we'll find the problem in the autopsy boss! ;)

------------------
Sage Wilkinson, KDX Link 1

Top Bottom