Cast off friday, can I race Sunday?

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Just looking for some peoples perspectives on this. I broke my leg back in May, and it's now been 7 weeks, and I'm getting the cast off for good tomorrow. I've been walking on the leg the last week.
Wondering if anyone here's ridden right after coming out of a cast like this?
It doesn't bother me to walk on, and I just got a new pair of sg-12's(supposedly the best boot out there protection wise) a couple weeks ago, so I'm just playing with the idea that I can get away with it.
I'll try to get the doc's ok tomorrow, but since he recommended I just STOP riding all together when he operated on it, I doubt he'll be happy about me wanting to race 2 days after the cast is off haha.

Thanks

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
No way I would allow my son to race 2 days after getting a cast off. Your muscles have atrophied and despite feeling OK walking on it now until you do some rehab on them you just don't have the strength to protect yourself. I would rather see a workout regimen to regain the muscle tone needed beyond just feeling good to walk on.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Patience, grasshopper.

Do not race 2 days after getting a leg cast off.

If you bust it again, you will feel like a complete nimrod.

Wait a week, at least, lol.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
Patience, grasshopper.

Do not race 2 days after getting a leg cast off.

If you bust it again, you will feel like a complete nimrod.

Wait a week, at least, lol.
I second that!

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
I got my own answer, rode the bike on some trails today and after about 10 minutes of light riding my foot started swelling and hurting a lot.
I didn't even wanna press on the brake pedal haha.
Oh well, couple weeks till the next one and I should be good to go.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Get some rehab on the leg. Ride some to get your fix but let yourself heal completely.
We all hear about the Pro's coming back to race with busted bones but face it, they get paid to race, it's their job. If their team managers push them back into racing too fast, they could be more seriously injured and out for an entire season. At 21, you have plenty of more racing seasons left in your life and if you are not in contention for a major finacial payoff for getting back to racing ASAP, let yourself heal up.

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
According to the doc, the bone has all healed really well, 2/3 of the breaks aren't visible anymore, and the fibula's break is just barely visible. So shouldn't give me any problems once I take some physio and get the strength built back up.
Out of curiosity I took a magnet and held it near my leg and I could feel it being pulled toward my leg. So I'll be sure to stay away from mri's haha.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Sounds like you did what I was going to advise, get an easy ride in before trying to race it. Make sure it's ok before you push it hard.

Top Bottom