Cast vs. Forged

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
I recently seized a Vertex piston and people told me to stay away from the vertex pistons because they are made of cast aluminum. People also stay away from Wiseco because they are forged. So, tell me, I know the difference between forging and casting, but when it comes to internal combustion, whats the difference?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Forged are ultimatly stronger-however the difference to the average rider isnt great, and as long as you warm up the engine properly and run it in,and replace at resonable intervals you will get good service from any make of piston.Std pistons on jap bikes are cast so that arguement is null.

SMMICK

Mar 26, 2003
Also off the shelve forged pistons are sometimes heavier than the stock piston, hence a reduction in performance. Good quality forged are usually lighter due to a lot more machinging and are therefore dearer. The only reason to go to forged is if the standard piston is not strong enough due to poor design (very rare in Jap bikes) or if the combustion pressures are high enough to break the piston(turbos)
The other reason i guess is when there isn't a cast piston available such as big bore kits or raising the compression

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…