irocaz

Jul 10, 2007
i did a search and didnt really find anything. i bought a 01 kdx220 and the guy said he used castrol premix from walmart mixed 32:1. i went and picked some up and mixed some for the weekend.

is this a half decent oil? he said its the same oil as they sell at the bike store but at a fraction of the cost.

also what do i use to safley clean my unifilter?

sorry but its been about 6 years since my last 2stroke bike

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
As long as the oil is TCW3 rated then it's fine. There are varying opinions on cleaning air filters, but I've never had a problem with soap and water.

irocaz

Jul 10, 2007
what can i use to remove the oil in the filter? also what do you do with gas that you dont want to use in the bike because of age? if i put it in my vechile will it clog up the fuel injection system?

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I use diesel fuel to clean the filter, make sure you get a good filter oil to re oil the filter with. I prefer the soaking oils you soak the filter with but you can also get spray ons as well. I wouldnt use the old fuel, just take it camping with you and use it as lighter fluid on your morning fires.
While you are at it you should change the gear case oil, sounds like the bike may be in need of some TLC. I use a pure synthetic Mobile 1, but there are many threads here that will give you opptions on that as well.

GoT_GreeN

Jun 17, 2007
I use No-Toil filter oil and filter cleaner, the cleaner works great and is the only good way to get the filter oil off your hands totaly. I didn't know Castrol made a pre mix, there motor oil is great so their pre mix should be as long as it's TCW3 rated like supajdogg said. It beats paying 16 bucks for a quart of Maxima-castor 927.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Castrol is a good brand. Most on here agree that for normal pleasure use, run a full synthetic (not a blend) 2 stroke oil mixed at 40 to 1. Lots of good brands and everyone has their favorites. Many use Amsoil, Maxima(I use it) or others. Mobil 1 -2T is good and available at Auto Zone and other auto parts stores for value. Use the same one all time and mix it the same and then you can work on your jetting. Ride safe John

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
You can usually dispose of old gasoline by adding to the your waste oil. I bring all my waste oil to a repair shop that uses a waste oil furnace for heat. Those guys appreciate any oil that is thinner than normal. It helps balance out the 90W gear lube they put in there. If you live in a warm climate and you can't find a repair shop that burns the stuff, just bring ti to your oil recycler. It's no different than disposing of motor oil from a 4T that had a leaky float..and filled the base with gasoline.
Joe

irocaz

Jul 10, 2007
thanks for the replys

turns out that the oil is not recommended for TCW so i will drain the tank out. should i put the gas into my truck or just put it into my oil barrel for recycling? gas is only a day old but not sure if i should be putting it in the truck with the oil mixed into it?

how is bel-ray S2? i have a sealed bottle of it that i never used before. otherwise i got a opened bottle of yamalube 2r that i have had for awhile.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
joebiodiesel said:
You can usually dispose of old gasoline by adding to the your waste oil. I bring all my waste oil to a repair shop that uses a waste oil furnace for heat.

KABOOM! :ohmy:

Every waste oil dump site I have used has a sign requesting that no solvents be mixed in with the oil.

Pour the old gasoline in your truck or use it in your lawn mower.

how is bel-ray S2? i have a sealed bottle of it that i never used before. otherwise i got a opened bottle of yamalube 2r that i have had for awhile.

Mobil-1 2T is an excellent and clean burning synthetic two stroke oil. Most Autozone stores sell it for about $8.00 per quart. I mix it at 40:1 and use it in every two stroke engine I own.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
You can run it through your lawn mower and it will do no harm, may smoke a little more when you first start it but it is better than wasting it. I use redline in my mix, Bel ray, and Yamalube are good as well.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
BadgerMan said:
KABOOM! :ohmy:

i use a waste oil furnace and a little gas is actually GOOD for it. it helps clean up the spray nozzle and like was already said it thins out the oil in the tank to make it easier on the pump. doesn't explode, or even burn different.

Am I the only person on earth who cleans my air filter with dish soap and hot water? I always have since I was a kid, and never had a problem... :think:

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
It works well and is cheap, I have no problem using soap and water, but I have found diesel just does it a little faster with less work. Stinks and makes you stink too, but to all their own.

heino

Nov 22, 2006
supajdogg said:
i use a waste oil furnace and a little gas is actually GOOD for it. it helps clean up the spray nozzle and like was already said it thins out the oil in the tank to make it easier on the pump. doesn't explode, or even burn different.

Am I the only person on earth who cleans my air filter with dish soap and hot water? I always have since I was a kid, and never had a problem... :think:
I use Bel-Ray Foam Filter Oil on my filter, and there is no way you can clean it with soap and water. The soap and water turns it into a blue goo that sticks to everything. Haven't tried proper filter cleaning fluid, but gasoline works like a bomb.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Notoil products are the best, IMO. I take the filter out and toss it in a bucket of water with some Notoil cleaner and let it soak for about an hour. Then, I wring it out and toss it in the washing machine (on a cold/gentle cycle) with some more cleaner and some old towels. The filters come out looking like new. Good stuff.

BTW, I have had filters fall apart in my hands before by cleaning them in hot water. It seems to melt the glue and they come apart at the seams.

Cleaning anything with gasoline is extremely dangerous. All it takes is a little electro-static discharge and you are in the middle of a big ball of flames.

GoT_GreeN

Jun 17, 2007
NO_TOIL all the way :cool: I've tried gas to get the stuff off my hands because I don't use rubber gloves and NO-TOIL gets it right off as well as every bit off the filter. I go back with NO-TOIL filter oil and the tube of NO-TOIL grease that seals it to the air box.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I use a very small amount of gas in a dish and work it in, then wash with soap and water. I use Uni filter oil right now, but have also been satisfied with other name brand filter oils.

May 9, 2007
supajdogg said:
As long as the oil is TCW3 rated then it's fine. There are varying opinions on cleaning air filters, but I've never had a problem with soap and water.
The TCW-3 rating isn't relevent to our machines. If you're going to use certifications to judge an oil (they don't really mean much) then the JASO FC certification would be much more relevent for our purposes.

My personal experience with Castrol premix wasn't good. It burns relatively dirty, and doesn't lubricate particularly well either. You could almost feel the wear with your fingernails on the sides of the rings where they touch the ring lands after just a few hours of use in racing conditions, and the piston was very scuffed looking. I would never use it again, and I certainly wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
i think castrol make more than one type of 2 stroke oil. i dont know about the cheaper sorts but i have been using castrol TTS on all my 2 stroke bikes and its proven to be a very good oil. its a full synthetic oil and makes very little smoke, it also seems to keep the powervalves from gumming up which is good. on the downside it is a bit expensive though....

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
steve.emma said:
i think castrol make more than one type of 2 stroke oil. i dont know about the cheaper sorts but i have been using castrol TTS on all my 2 stroke bikes and its proven to be a very good oil. its a full synthetic oil and makes very little smoke, it also seems to keep the powervalves from gumming up which is good. on the downside it is a bit expensive though....

Yes, they do make several types. The one they spoke off is the type they sell at the general store. I also have been using Castrol TTS for years now with excellent results. :cool:

dirtracker

Jun 21, 2006
irocaz said:
what can i use to remove the oil in the filter? also what do you do with gas that you don not want to use in the bike because of age? if i put it in my vechile will it clog up the fuel injection syste

I am always using fresh mixed gas in my bike everytime.What I do after riding if I had like half galon mixed gas I just pour it my vehicle tank. Been doing that a long time will not hurt engine as long enough fuel is inside tank. A galon premixed gas mixed in a 15 or more galons straigt gas wont hurt.Do not mix if its a leaded fuel cause will hurt your cat converter.Anyway its just small amount oil in gas. Sometimes older engine burns some oil past rings ,valves doesnt hurt.

Top Bottom