Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I'm going up to the CCC Kids Tour with Zach the weekend of July 11-13. It's near Leetsville, just north of Kalkaska.

Anyone interested? Sort of a warm up to the Loose/Mini Moose enduro...

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
fatherandson - the less than 6 foot tall version.

Have fun!  I have heard these Kids tours are great for the younger riders.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Smit dog

I just may be there. My sons buddy just got his first bike (XR200) and I am trying to talk him into going to attend the riding class....plus my youngest could do with a refresher class on his bike.

One question I do have though - as I understand it, they will check all kids for certificates before they ride. My oldest is 12 and on a Yamaha Blaster 200 quad - will they take issue with him on a 200 rather than the letter of the law ie.. 80cc max if under 16? (which i think is stupid...that kid was like a monkey on a football on his 80!)

Mike

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Don't know... call or e-mail Bill Chapin on that one. The riding class is great for the little ones. My son Zach took it at Rites a few months ago, and now *looks* for logs to cross over.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Smit dog,

Good news - they have groomed the trails in the Higgins Lake area. 

Bad news - they have groomed the trails in the Higgins Lake area and it is VERY dusty.

No whoops, but you had better hope for rain before the kids tour.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Dust => ugh! :|

I'm still blowing black snot from the TC HS, but my eyes have stopped burning!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
.... bump ...

Anyone else going?

KTM Mike - Can you make it?

Rickshaw - Pull some strings and I'll bring an extra XR for your son.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog, I may be there with Emily. She's actually expressed interest in taking the CCC training! She's gained some confidence on the XR100 at the local MX track and will now roll the jumps (just like dad, while Andy doubles and triples 'em).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by MWEISSEN
Smit-Dog, I may be there with Emily. She's actually expressed interest in taking the CCC training!
Great! :thumb:

Hope to see you there! Let me know for sure as it gets closer so we can coordinate time/location.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Smit dog - I may make it...not certain though. My big reason to consider it before was to get my sons friend to take the class, and now it looks like he wont go. But - now I have another reason - just bought my youngest son a TTR-125 - and he is doing Ok with the clutch but I think a class (not taught by Dad!) would be helpful for him! I still have not followed up on that quad issue related to my oldest kid - gues i need to huh.

BTW - I have a TTR-90 for sale if anyone is looking!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Come on up Mike! Your son will have to take the class eventually, and this is the perfect weekend for it... Kids Tour XIII.

The CCC/Capitol Chapter is also going to have a "flea market" set up at the event to trade/buy/sell outgrown riding gear and bikes... hint, hint ;)

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Smit Dog

It looks like I will be there! I spoke with Bill Chapin this evening, got my youngest signed up for the class (the Saturday one was full, Sunday was still open). At this point I dont know if I will have my oldest kid and my wife along with or not, but me and youngest are set now. If it dont sell before then the TTR90 will be in the trailer as well.

How do we want to coordinate meeting up? I dont yet know if I will be in the motorhome, or if I will drive there each day (it really is not that far from me).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Great Mike! Glad you're going, and you just might walk away from the weekend with some cash for the TTR90.

I'll be arriving with Zach sometime Friday evening around 8-9pm, and setting up in a white 6x12 trailer with a blue 4Runner. I'll PM you my cell just in case.

- Bill

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
The motorhome is packed, the trailer loaded up and ready to roll!  I hope to arrive between 7:00 and 8:00 PM Friday night.  (I had hoped to arrive earlier but some pressing projects at work are conspiring to make that a bit impossible..oh well)

If they got the rain in the Kalkaska area that we got in Atlanta - we certainly wont have ANY dust to deal with!  It rained real steady and at time rather hard throughout the day here today.  The ground here is totally saturated with significant standing water.  Hopefully things will dry up a wee bit by Saturday AM so the kids wont be doin to much slippin and sliddin in mud etc!

I will be in a white with blue stripes class C motorhome with Chevy chassi towing a black enclosed trailer that says "snap-on" on the sides near the back.  A whole herd of bikes/quads will appear...my KTM, a TTR125, a XR200, a Yam Blaster quad and Polaris trailblazer quad... Oh the TTR90 wont be making the trip as it looks like I have sold it already.

Any of you DRNers that will be there - look me up!  Smit Dog I will be sure to look for you as well.  My kids are starting to get pumped up for their first MCCC ride!  (my first as well)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Awesome Mike!

I have everything packed except the bikes and food. My shifter must have gotten bent down somehow at the HS event a few weeks ago. I had a real hard time shifting yesterday just putzing around, but looking at it back in the garage it is definitely bent down.

Work is also dictating my leave time, and I have about a 4 hour drive.

My buddy Kurt and his son Hunter won't be getting up until pretty late Friday. He is brand new to riding, but has lots of spodely enthusiasm! Evidently he picked up a used bike from a local guy who used to be a big enduro racer back in the 80's, and also used to own a Husky dealership. I guess this guy still has a garage full of vintage Huskys.

See you in about 20 hours!

:aj:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog, I posted on Tuesday that I probably wouldn't make the CCC ride, but see somehow it didn't make it here.

I hope you had a great ride, sorry you didn't get my message on a no-show earlier. The trails should've been perfect!

Andy and I hopefully will be able to sneak out Sunday afternoon up to White Cloud for a quick loop.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
SmitDog

It was great meeting up with you at the kids ride!   It was a well run event - and the trails were great!  I particularily enjoyed our evening ride without the kids (a bit quicker pace than 9 mph!).   Those sections in the "dark forest" were interesting as my headlight did very little for me shining up on the leaves like it did!  My kid loved the class on sunday, and his buddy on the XR200 did great in it!

I will post a pic or two here in a few days if i get  a chance. 

If anyone else was wondering if this would be a good event to take your kids to - it certainly was from my view.  they did great "door prizes" and I cant complain with sucess rate we had - of the 7 people I was there with, 5 won something - including a helmet that was stickered at $160 that went to my son's friend (a total newbie to off road riding and this sort of event - made his parents feel real good about allowing their kid to hang out with me I think!), my wife got goggles, another kid that was with us that got a can of chain lube, my son got a trophy, and the guy that rode with us got something as well (forget what now)  - not a bad take at all!  Even with out all that, our familys conclusion is that we will do more of these MCCC events inthe future.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
We had a great weekend too Mike! Probably one of the most enjoyable riding weekends I've ever had. Not anywhere near the amount of trail covered by Fred "Marathon Man" T, but lots of "smiles per mile" all the same!

Day 1: A few kids in our group spent the morning taking the ORV Safety Class. After lunch we finally hit the trails with new riding buds Kurt (dad) on a 1987 TT 380, Hunter (son) on a TTR-90, along with Kurt's neighbor Paul (newbie on a shiny new XR-650, aka "Iron Pig"), and Paul's son Chris (newbie on badly jetted 10,000+ RPM-only CR-125 :scream: ).

It was a great trail for the kids. It had a mix of everything - sandy whoops to dark enchanted forests. Rode 25 miles with the kids. They got stuck a few times fighting their way up some sandy hills - buried up to their axles one right behind the other. :)

After dinner back at camp, the 3 dads (me, KTM Mike, Kurt) headed out for a higher-speed evening run. It was around 8pm, so we took the 16 mile cut-off loop. It was a blast running the same trail at speed this time, and it turned out to be a "bikes with lights" run. Towards the end of the ride into the heavily forested areas, it was pretty dark, with nothing to guide you but your headlight bouncing off the trees. :thumb:

Day 2: The kids rode with a lot more skill and confidence. Zach had 3 pretty spectacular crashes. He did great in the tight twisty stuff, but whenever he hit the sandy whoops, the bike would start flopping from side-to-side, hands still on the grips, but legs and feet flailing wildly as the bike tried to buck Zach off. Eventually the front end would dig in for good, and he'd plant himself into the handlebars with the chest protector. Other than a couple of bruises he was fine.

Then I made a bet with the boys - If they could climb the 2 big sand hills without stopping, getting stuck, or having the dads bail them out, it was Dairy Queen on the way home. We came to the first big hill, and they fought their way to the top without any help. No rules, even if it meant jumping off the bike and running along side of it trying to get up the hill! It was a well-earned DQ on the way home.

It was great following hot on the tail of your 9 year-old, watching him navigate his way though the trees, off-camber turns, fight through the sandy whoops sections (hang on!), and bounce off the occasional root. I was right there to hoop and holler when he managed to hang on, and also to help pick up the pieces when he didn't. :eek:

A few pictures from the event...

http://community.webshots.com/album/81182067rAMrav

We will definitely make this an annual event!

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I forgot to mention the "Big Conjones Award" recipient. Kurt's brother Craig came up on Saturday with his 10 year old (on a TTR-125) and 5 year old.

The bike Craig brought along was 2003 BMW F 650 GS "dual sport" with 60 miles on the odometer. He rode most of the same trails that we rode..... with his 5 year hanging on the back! This includes the sandy whoops and twisted, rooted forest sections. This is a 413lbs bike that is a whole lot more street than it is trail.

His 5 year old only got bounced off the back twice... :eek:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/f650gs.jsp

http://community.webshots.com/photo/81182067/81183061VQAYeu

Top Bottom