CDI and ignition coil combined

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I recently had my CDI, coil, and magneto all take a dump :uh: .  Maybe something crossed and shorted out, moot now.  I ended up going with  Electrex aftermarket equipment.  The CDI was suppose to be sent to me and then I received something different.  I was afraid of this product since it said it was for 83-88 KDX's.  But come to find out the CDI on all KDX's are analog and follow the same ignition curve as many other Jap bikes.

They sent me a small box that contains the coil and HT lead for the spark plug plus the CDI is in there. http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/PROD-DETAILS/ht-pulse/HTCDI.htm

The total cost to me was ($95) 56 English pounds and that was a lot less than the 295 pounds the kawi dealer wanted for the OEM CDI.

I inquired to Electrex USA and they do not carry the part, or at least it is not on their site and they have yet to answer my week old e-mail.:ugg:

This thing works and is nice :)  since you don't have all those wires to contend with anymore out of the old CDI.  One wire goes to the magneto on the stator, one to ground at the mount above the engine, and the other to the engine kill switch.

Electrex USA could carry this part and should since KDX's are one of the long-time-production machines.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Older jap bikes all have the same timing curve. It is dependant on rpm actually. ARE you sure you need to replace your CDI. I have a sheet out in the forums on CDI tests. The coil and cdi combo was cheaper than a new kawi igniter coil.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
yes I know the stock CDI's have a set timing curve, but the Electrex web site said the CD3210 CDI has 6 curves programmed into it. Is that the CDI you bought? Does it have selectable curves?
Guide me to the post you mentioned please.
Also, which ignition coil did you get, the HT80 or HT55?
:cool:

Top Bottom