prumz

Dec 11, 2004
I see this has been done to death but can anyone tell me for certain if an 85 model CDI will work on an 86 model bike? The part numbers are different but not sure what significant differences there would be.

My 86 is giving me all sorts of ignition grief and I have picked up a complete wiring harness, coil, CDI regulator etc of an '85 for very cheap. I was hoping to use for troubleshooting.

I have had the stator rewound and stator coils are very close to specs listed on rickystator.com however I still have no spark. I have tried another ignition coil with no joy either so now want to try the CDI.

I think the system should work with the kill switch disconnected. Is my understanding right?

Any help greatly appreciated. I want to do a full resto on her but need to see her running properly first before outlaying too much cash.

prumz

Dec 11, 2004
glad2ride said:
You should be able to find a 1986 - 1988 CDI on eBay for cheap. No need to try some other CDI when trying to troubleshoot.

Thats proving far easier said than done around these parts. I have been trying for quite some time. Hence where I am at.

Top Bottom