cdi swapping, thoughts, desires

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
I bought an '85 kdx200 my riding partner picked up. The stator coils were shot(thrown magnet). He bought a NOS(new, old stock) stator plate with coils for the bike, and then promptly sold it to a me. Sucker born every minute!

I check the new stator coil ohms, (in spec) bolted it on. Through troubleshooting, I found out my cdi box was bad. And now this is the crux of my dilema.

My defective cdi is an '85, as well as the ignition coils(large and small piggyback)

The cdi I bought for troubleshooting is an '89-94 unit, and is supposed to be used in conjuction with the '89 and up stator coil( which is a single coil unit)

I bolted the '89 cdi on, without hooking up the small coil to it( no provision to) I got spark, but it is weak.

If I decide to keep the newer cdi unit, which I would rather, since it is in my hands, will the '89 and up stator give me a stronger spark? The resistance on it ( per rickystator website) is almost double the ohms of my current stator coil. I am assuming that means is has more windings, and puts out a higher voltage.

In a nutshell, I would rather change a $40 ignition coil to work with the new cdi box, rather than $100 on a used cdi box that may or may not die soon. Of course, I could spend $400 on a new cdi box for my bike, but I will not go there!

What are your guys thoughts on this matter?

So, now If I switch to the '89 unit, I am assuming the ignition timing curve will be different, but not real far off.I can adjust my initial timing by moving the stator plate. This will shift the whole curve up or down.
I can also assume my '89 box may give out, but the schematics and component numbers for it( to build a new one) are on the internet. So, I could build anouther one for $10.

Top Bottom