86KDX200

Jul 20, 1999
I have an '86 KDX200. I have four wires coming from the magneto going to the CDI and lights. The yellow one goes to the light switch. The other three go to a three way connector. The colors are white/red stripe, black, blue. The connector they plug into has only two connections on it. The colors on that are white/red stripe and black. There is no blue wire on the CDI or anywere else for that matter. The connector can plug together two different ways leaving one wire hanging. How do you connect them? The manual shows all wires connecting to the CDI! I have spent a lot of time and money on this thing and I would really like to see it running! Any help would be most awesome!

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
The blue wire coming from the CDI box goes to the coil.

The mag has two wires that go to the CDI box, black and a red/white.

The CDI box has a black/yellow that goes to ground. A bule that goes to the coil. A black/white that goes to the kill button. A white/red that goes to the mag. And the black to the mag.

Hope this helps and I hope the wiring I described fits your bike.

:)

86KDX200

Jul 20, 1999
The problem I have is I got three wires from my magneto and only two from the CDI. The clip that connects them is a two prong plug that fits into a three prong plug. One of my wires does not get connected, either the blue or black. This is all pretty confusing so I am just gonna take it in. Thanks for the help SHR.

86KDX200

Jul 20, 1999
I have solved the problem! Turns out the new magneto assembly that I put in stoped working. I tested all the wires and componets with a multi meter and the white w/red strip wire was showing a break. Pulled off the rotor and tested the whole wire by itself and the wire is fine. Tested the stator coil and it was bad. I put in another new stator assy and the bike fired right up! My 86 is up and running once again. Turns out the blue wire that I did not have was cut out and replaced with another black wire. I had more black wires than I knew what to do with! Thanks all for the help.

Top Bottom