scottgriz86

Apr 30, 2005
Centering Crankshaft- Eric

Hi. I installed the crank in my KX125 after replacing main bearing/seals. After installing it, it was tough to turn so I hit the appropriate end and it freed it up, but the crank is still not centered. It has about .025" on the clutch side and somewhere around .05 on the flywheel side. I know there is some play between connecting rod and piston, so is this something I should be concerned about before assembling the rest of the engine? I've installed a few cranks before and a couple hits with a rubber mallet always popped them into center.
Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

jrg

Nov 25, 2001
did it make a sharp crack sound when you hit it?, when i install cranks i usually give it a good whack and when you hear that sound you are good to go

scottgriz86

Apr 30, 2005
It didn't make a noticabally sharp noise. I hit it several times with a rubber mallet. It spins free, it's just not centered.
Thanks

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
You're fine - there is play at the top of the rod where the piston attacheds - I would not be overly concerned with .025 off-center.

scottgriz86

Apr 30, 2005
Does anyone know what causes the crank to not center? I rebuilt an older KX125 a couple of weeks ago, and the crank made a sharp cracking noise when I hit it and centered itself.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
what are you hitting it with - I'm assuming a plastic mallet? I was taught never to strike the crank- I know there are obvious exceptions to this rule but as a general practice I try to avoid it - I have done it though.....

Top Bottom