angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Mr. WR
MAY! Dang, not good. I want to ride there so bad. I'm busy every weekend from april 28 till june. You guys snuck this whole thing in on me. I'd like to try that dear creek place sometime. Let me know what day you will all be going there. 2 and a half hrs from me.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
angryjim,

Sorry man! We needed to get a ride put together and May seemed a like a month. Dust will become a problem in June.

I'll keep you posted on another ride in the Deer Creek area. With this storm and the low snow that is expected in that area should keep the dust down for a few more weeks..

Rick

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Ok.... were down to 30 days! Anyone still interested???

Elkins Flat May 11,12&13!!

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Will be there for a day ride on the 12th only - probably arrive by 8:30 and be ready to ride by 9:00 am. Never been to PiPi but would love to do 60+ miles of single track. Any help laying out a route would be appreciated.

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Dave.....Good to go!!! I'll be ready to ride when you get on deck! No problem with a 60 mile loop! We will be able to ride Pipi/Gold Note side, and connect with Elkins Flat side!

29 and a wake up :)

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I'm going on a 1 day ride this Sun.,4-15 at Georgetown. Stage at Bald Mountain, Green Z-71, hope to have Ktm to break-in.

------------------
'99 XR400R '95 300EXC

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
MR.WR,

I will be there for the Elkins Flat ride May12-13 with a few buddies, lookin forward to it! A few of us will be at Deer Creek April 21-22 if you and FremontGuy are interested in joining us.

Shifty1
dean@hmrusa.com

------------------

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
shifty,

Sorry, I will not be able to make the Deer Creek ride! Thanks for the invite.

We'll see you at Elkins Flat in May....

Rick

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

ProjectBoy

Feb 20, 2001
Dean and i ride Deer Creek as often as we can and for anyone who doesnt know the terrain we have laminated maps which we've added to over the years and can recommend just about everthing that place has to offer.
We know were understanding better becasue we haven't got lost there in about 2 years.This weekend may be thee perfect weekend for that place with rain due to fall on Wed & Thursday,making all her hillclimbs extra fun!!!

------------------
Stevo

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
FremontGuy,

I generally stay at the family shack in Cold Springs which is about 25 mins from Deer Creek but 5-10min. from Crandall Peak which is on the east end of the riding area. We may just camp out this time though (more riding!) If we camp which we probably will we will be up the road from the first staging area. Look for a black and silver
F-150. Let me know what your driving as well so we can try and spot you. If the weather is foul we will probably stay at the cabin, plenty of beds if you need a place to crash out. See ya up there. Steve, good to see you on the boards, I think a friday morning head start may be the way to go what do you think?

Dean

------------------

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Keeping with central CA theme. Got back from Rock creek ride on Mon., conditions were great, some snow patches, puddles, firm clay with pine needles. Noticed about 4 trails closed for "rehabilitation", those were probably rutted out bad. Some of my favorite loops there are #18,Tobacco gulch,#9-8,#9-10 with the high speed water bar jumps :)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
fremontguy,
Where's Rock Creek?

Looks like Stonyford on Saturday with a bunch of Thumpertalk guys - anybody interested?

brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Nvr Fnsh - Rock Creek is the area near Georgetown - east of Sacramento, north of Highway 50. There is a work party scheduled for May 5th to repair and hopefully re-open some of the closed trails.

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Kali,

Yes, this thread has drifted off the main topic, lets get back on track :p

Quick up date:

DRN Spring Fling Spodefest guest list.
As of 4/18/01
Kalitude & guest????
Kevimetal
Fremontguy
MR.WR
dirt bike dave and guests???
shifty1408 & crew
NVRFINISH
Jonala
Jimmy!
Maybe's
KAV
Kiwi Bird (of Paradise)
sgr
Phatty 520 & Crew
thumbs

If you would like to get trail maps of the Elkins Flat and Gold Note / Pipi ridng area give the Amador Ranger District office a call and they will mail you the maps.

Get the skinny here!

20 Silver Drive
Pioneer, CA 95666
209-295-4251
TTY 209-295-5996
FAX 209-295-5998
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Monday - Friday
(Extended Summer Hours: Mon.-Sat.)

If you would like to camp in a camp ground that is very close to the Elkins Flat staging area check out this link. http://www.reserveusa.com/nrrs/ca/pipi/#areas http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/eldorado/fish/rivers/river01.htm

Here are directions to Elkins Flat staging area.
From the San Francisco Bay Area, take 580 East to 205, and then follow 205 until it turns into I-5 North.
Stay in the right lane on I-5 and exit on 120 East.
Exit Highway 120 and go north at Highway 99.
Exit Highway 99 and go east at Highway 88.
Follow Highway 88 to and through the town of Jackson.
Go left at Omo Ranch Road.
Take the very next right on PIPI road.
Follow PIPI road to and past PIPI Valley campground.
The next camping area past PIPI Valley campground is Elkins Flat.

Here is a link to view the Pipi / Gold Note trail net work. This side of the mountain is has some really nice trails. There is a trail that connects Elkins Flat to Gold Note side. http://www.4wdriver.com/regions/region1/maps/ca-goldnote.gif

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

[This message has been edited by MR.WR (edited 04-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MR.WR (edited 04-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MR.WR (edited 04-19-2001).]

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
I'm going to try like heck to make it out there for the 12/13th! Does anyone know what the green/red sticky regs are in that area?

------------------
`01 CR250R
`00 ZX-12R
`99 TT-R 250

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Jimmy!

You'll be fine if you have a Red Sticker, but you will need spark arrestor!
checl out this link to get the full skinny on the red/green sticker program.

Hope to see you up there

Rick

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Hey guys,
Sounds like a fun ride. I would like to come up for one day on the 12th. I have friends coming out from Florida and we are going to the Glen Helen national on the 13th., or else I would stay and ride Sat. and Sun.Is anybody else from the socal area going? If so maybe we can hook up and share a ride. We could leave sometime on Friday , my secedule is very flexible. I have a fullsize extra cab pickup and a large trailer so there is room for alot of bikes.
If anyone is intristed just Email me at mxbundy@earthlink.net

Lets Ride
mxbundy

------------------

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
Thanks WR, I do have S/A. (wouldn't ride without one!) Looking forward to meeting some of the DRN'ers in person!

------------------
`01 CR250R
`00 ZX-12R
`99 TT-R 250

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Dang it! Looks like I can't go... I don't have a S/A for my bike :(

Oh well, maby next time

------------------
'01 YZ250
'92 DR350S

Lessons will be repeated until there are learned.

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
Hey John,
Have you been able to get the Reserve America site to work for you? I never have been able to. Thanks for posting the link. It looks like they are all available for that weekend though, so maybe reservations aren't necessary? Anyone else reserving a spot beforehand?

Dean

------------------

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I don't plan on camping, but I did ask the forest service to mail me information regardig the OHV routes. Here is what it says regarding camping at Elkins Flat:

"Camping is available at many dispersed campng sites along the route system and the roads accessing it. The staging area at Elkins Flat is popular for camping and has a vault toilet on site. Drinking water and garbage services are NOT available. A free campfire permit is required.

PiPi Campground (2 miles south of Elkins Flat) is a fully devleoped site with 51 camp units (most accomodate trailers and RVs), piped water, vault toilets, wheel chair access. PiPi is a fee area and some sites can be reserved by calling 877-444-6777".

Since I'm just up for the day, I plan on staging at Elkins Flat. Camping there sounds like it is free and first come/first served. A buddy has stayed at PiPi and says it is nice, and some of the free but unimproved 'overflow' sites along the road are also quite good and some will accomodate large rigs.

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

[This message has been edited by dirt bike dave (edited 04-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dirt bike dave (edited 04-25-2001).]

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Back in October at the last Spodefest fling, I believe everyone camped at the Elkins flat staging area. This area is free, big and even Mr.WR could get his massive trailer hauling a trailer in there. It's first come, first grab for spots.

Top Bottom