NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Any suggestions for when/where? Somewhere in the middle would be really nice. Maybe Clear Creek before it gets too hot? What about someplace in the mountains above Fresno - anyone got any recommendations? We could always do Tahoe or California Hot Springs. Kennedy Meadows is a drive & half for us Northern folks.....

Anyone, anyone?

Brian

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Any place with camping and trees sounds good to me. How about Georgetown on Bald mountain? Stonyford maybe? Clear creek is fun, just need someone familiar with trails to lead groups at the creek.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Two things:

1 - I'm not up for organizing a Spodefest in the true sense of the word - ie Midwesterners/Casey, Ill.

2 - Somewhere central is the operative word. We didn't go to Gorman 'cause it's a 6 hour drive from Santa Rosa. I'm sure there are SoCal folks that feel the same way about Elkins Flat or Stonyford :( Clear Creek seems to be the logical choice unless someone can identify a place on the eastern side of the San Joaquin Valley.

Dates: someone familiar with Clear Creek chime in - when does it get to stinkin' hot & dusty to ride Clear Creek? Clear Creek dust is not a good thing - naturally occuring asbestos comes to mind....

Brian

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
How about Miami creek if not Clear creek. The map shows it as north-east of Fresno. Clear creek was warm and dry yesterday, I guess it will only get worse with time.

------------------
'99 XR400R '95 300EXC

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've been to Miami 4 times, but always staged at a fairly rustic (unimproved) area just off Highway 41. It is about 1 hour from Fresno and close (15 minutes or so) to the south gate of Yosemite National Park. Hotels at Oakhurst or Bass Lake are maybe 15 to 25 minutes away.

There are a two decent staging areas/campgrounds, but they are further off the Highway than the area I've staged at.

Elevation is maybe 3,000 - 4,000+ feet, mostly pine trees. The trail network is OK, medium sized, maybe 60 miles of trails.

Quality of the trails varies a lot. Due to the soils in most of the area, erosion and ruts are a problem. There are a few really fun trails but some of the good ones have short stretches of nasty, steep rutted hills that might be a bit much for beginners.

Here is a link for more info:
http://www.offroadrider.com/wher/ccal/miam.html

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Spodefest.....sounds like a good time. Last Oct. I put together a ride (Nor.Cal Spodefest) up at Elkins Flat. We had a really good turnout. The weather was perfect and it rained a few days before the ride.

If this is going to happen the ball needs to get rolling. The weather is going to start warming up quickly and the ground will be drying out as well. I was up at Elkins Flat today look at a training area for my Marine Reserve unit. There is STILL plenty of snow in the mountains. A few more weeks of sunny warm weather will speed up the melt.

I would LOVE to head this up, but I have way too much on my plate right now. I'm moving from Sacto to Lodi, Ca. and my retirement from the U.S Marines in May and starting a new job, so I will be not much help.

From the members that post here on DRN from California were about divided between Nor.Cal and So.Cal. I can't shed any light on riding areas in Central Cal.

Keep in mind the the lower elevation riding areas will not allow Red Sticker bikes.

More to follow........

I'd like to see another ride late in the fall up in the mountains.

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Since 7 of us are interested why not make it April 7,8 at Clear creek, 1st staging area inside park. I'm just throwing around thoughts and dates. Every weekend is good for riding in my warped, scheme of life. Maybe by April I'll have Ktm cylinder back and can give the Xr4 a rest.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I was hoping a little more towards May. I apologize, when I saw spodefest I just figured a large event requiring a ton of planning.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Ditto to what RMjeff said. I'm moving into my new home in mid April, but I do have my priorities..... so when do we ride :)

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by thumbs:
Ditto to what RMjeff said. I'm moving into my new home in mid April, but I do have my priorities..... so when do we ride :)

oooooohhhhhhhh. I see in Kali's post calling for May 12-13. I will be moving that weekend.

Man I really wanna make this happen. Why oh why is everything working against me. :)

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
What about May??? I am going to throw this out to everyone. May 11,12&13, Elkins Flat, Ca. on SR88. The weather sould be nice and mild and there is camping near by at Pipi Valley and at the staging area. The trail net work will support all types of riders skill levels. D36 does not have any races over that weekend so there should not be any conflicts.

Food for thought

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
RMjeff

I was hoping a little more towards May. I apologize, when I saw spodefest I just figured a large event requiring a ton of planning.

RM,
The ride I set up last Oct was maily a trail ride. We had about 25-30 DRN and nonDRN members attend. The area that I'm suggesting is wooded with all singletrack trails through tight and semi open forrest. The elevation is between 4500-6000ft. All trails are marked. Allot of the loops connect so it easy to get in a long ride.

As for planning, all that is required to provide directions to the riding area and trail maps. There is camping avaiable very close by. The Pipi Valley campground has running water and head facillities. If your not going to be camping and would rather stay in a motel, Jackson, Ca offers hotels/motels. Jackson is about 25 miles or so from the staging area. The riding area is very easy to get to from SR99; which runs through the Central Valley. Folks from SO.Cal would take SR 99 all the way to Stockton, Ca and then go East on SR88. The access road is paved to the staging area.

Most Nor.Cal DRN members that ride this area and if they were to attend we could ask them to help out leading trails rides.

Basically we all show up, and break off into small groups and ride. In the evenings sit by the campfire and shoot the breeze :D

That's all there is to it.

More to follow.........

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I'm in for May 11,12 & 13th.

But I was kinda hoping to see a little bit more of a mix between NorCal & SoCal folks - GSR & TTRGuy, Kiwi, etc, etc, etc.

I expect to see some of the Nevada folks at Elkins Flats - Strick, you listening?

Kali - trip to Charlotte? Does this bode well for your career?

Brian

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Brian,

Last year we had LawManNv and his radical brother make the trip from Nv.

I have not rode Kennedy Meadows before, and since we have very few, if any, DRN members in the Fresno, Tulare area it will be harder to gather all the logistical info required to make this happen.

My .02 is that Nor.Cal is about the only place to have this ride

I'll do what I can to make this happen...but like I stated, I have a full plate in April, but May looks much better..

Rick

More to follow

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

[This message has been edited by MR.WR (edited 03-21-2001).]

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Works for me. I'm good to go any weekend-(Sun,Mon.) Prefer Rock creek, but woods are woods. Unwrap the DRN banner again Mr.Wr.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Kali,
I'm sure that both of you will like NC - just make sure you ask if it's sweet tea before ordering. I just about gagged when I took a big ol' pull on the straw & got a mouthful of sugar.

Brian

tutoroto

Jan 2, 2001
MR WR,
When you were up at Elkins flat on the 19th, would you consider the area rideable that day or was there still too much snow? I would love to go with you guys but I will be on my honeymoon during May 11,12. I was thinking of going up on March 31 to check it out. I have never ridden there but camped there as a kid. I love riding in the mountains so I plan on going there anyway just want to get there as soon as possible. What do you think????

Top Bottom