Ceramic Bearings

crawl9

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
I'm wanting to put Cermaic bearing in for My Crank. Has anyone else done this?? I've read that shifter carts are using this on cr250 engiges and seeing .5 to .750 hp gains and longer life. Where can you get a 22x56x16 ceramic bearing. I've called ever local dealer and no one can find it yet. one person said he could make them but it would be expensive.
Thanks

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Good idea. I know turbochrager-folk brag about ceramic bearings. Perhaps you can get a hold of Aerodyne, Garret, Mitsubishi, etc or one of their dealers.

yam 3

May 19, 2000
We use these bearings at work in high speed spindles that turn up to 30000 rpm. They are very expensive but very durable. Try Barden bearings or FAG (yeah I know hahaha) bearings. They are of extremely high quality.

Sean Hilbert

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 30, 2001
We only do bearings for 80s and 125s. The gains with friction reduction and reduced crank case temperatures are much more prevelant at 12,000-14,000 RPM vs. the 8,000-9,000 RPM you would see on a 250.

Be careful about using an off-the-shelf hybrid ceramic bearing in an engine. We went through several bearing cage design "iterations" before finding the correct material spec and shape. With hundreds of sets in the field, we didn't see any failures during the 2002 race season.

If you do decide to give it a try, let us know what you see...good luck!

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Sean- I ordered a set of ceramic bearings for my Honda CR250 from Kevin Kraft at Power Sport Industries. He is a Authorized Distributor the size of the bearing is a 63/28 I ordered Koyo bearings they told me the wait time is 135 days I ordered off of him because you only do the 80's and 125's. What I need to know is are these bearings I have ordered are they going to work? I told Kevin that my application was for a dirt bike crank bearings. Please let me know soon if I did the wrong thing I ordered back in November? Thank you!

crawl9

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
Hey Sean Hilbert,
You said you went through several designs before settling on a certain one, What design did you go with and what material??

As far as the expense versus gain, I've read they last twice as long. I've found one place that had the sizes and could ship them next day for $51 a piece. you can get stock bearing set with seals for about $50. so it's going to be a little over twice as much but they last twice as long. So, it will actally save money ( having to tear down engine an replace gaskets, etc.) I guess the only other thing you would have to worry about is the main bearing outlasting the bottom end bearing. Who makes the best Bottom end bearing for 125's???

This is the e-mail I got from bearing works (a cr 125 uses the same size as My rm125)

We do sell alot of this size in ceramic hybrids. Pretty popular for karts. These can outlast your standard ones, but the main benefit is that they accelerate faster and generate less heat. Your fuel mix wont effect the bearings. All the materials are compatible. As far as the rotating mass of piston/rod effecting these, no problem. If they were entirely ceramic, there might be a problem with fracturing from the shock, mismounting, or thermal expansion of your crank and/or case. These are made of steel rings, ceramic balls and thermoplastic cage (400F).

Sean Hilbert

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 30, 2001
The bearings are expensive, and honestly, I think there is questionable worth for the weekend dirt biker. For the serious MXer or Karter, they definitely are worth it -- especially for karting (where we sell the vast majority of our bearings) -- these guys are WFO all the time, and the engines are tuned to peak at relatively high RPMs. Most dirt bikers just need to work on hopping up their right wrist a little ;) ...me included. Another issue for casual off-road use is the fracture durability of ceramic. Small amounts of dirt in the intake can cause the balls to do bad things. If you do decide to go ceramic, you must also be very dilligent about air filter (and intake track) cleaning. Don't let ANY dirt into the engine.

As far as what brand is good, and what brand is isn't...I can't help you there. We haven't durability tested anyone else's stuff.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…