Chadwick, MO 5-18-02: Thunder's Birthday Bash.

B

biglou

We got off to a chilly start yesterday morning. There were about twelve of us meeting up near my house between 530 and 600AM. We loaded up, gassed up, got coffee and headed south for rocky Chadwick, MO. Upon arrival at Kay's General Store, we met up with CAL, his dad and friend, and WFOCrusty. We got our tags and headed for the picnic pavilion. Once there, we stretched our legs, met up with Eddie and Speedy, then suited up for battle. It was still chilly, but the recent rains had not made the rocky terrain any worse for wear. There were roughly 12 of us in one group, led by Crusty. We were rolling along and the amount of water on the trails was incredible. There was easily 1-2 feet of water over the trails for up to 50 feet at a time. It was challenging, but not impossible to ride. At one creek crossing, it was clear that the bottom was too deep to cross. The leaders turned left up the creek to look for a way around. Three of us out of the last six riders decided to take our turn at swimming upstream. GregS was first to attempt. He did his best flounder impersonation by washing out (literally) while executing his left-hander up the creek. As Agent Orange and I were busy laughing (instead of paying attention to where the leaders were headed) we missed Crusty and crew turning left back out of the stream. So once Greg refired his kTm 200, Al and I joined him in swimming upstream. We stopped, three abreast, at what appeared to be a very deep hole with no way through. We quickly agreed that the leaders must have continued this direction because, well, where else could they have gone? (up the bank and back to the left:D) So I said, "Here goes nothin'"! Next thing I know, my bike is making these horrible gurgling noises and dying out quickly. Water is churning up like a geyser behind the rear wheel and I feel water seeping through the seat of my pants-NOT GOOD! In about a nanosecond, the bike is dead, seat-deep in the creek and I am floundering in the water, butt deep. I reached down and grabbed the far side subframe and yanked her up out of the water and headed for shore. It's good to be a big guy sometimes! I was, at that moment, very glad I didn't bring the 426! After about an hour of kicking, leaning, and draining the float bowl, she finally refired, blowing water out the silencer like a shower head! We let her warm back up and blow out all the water then we headed back to camp for some dry socks (and pants). BTW-Many thanks to CAL and Agent Orange for help kicking. Back at camp, we did a quick gear oil change and thankfully the old oil looked clean. Disaster averted. :)

Intermission was filled with many comments about "swimming lessons" and "U-boat commanders". Memories of Papakeith and Lee Wilson were evoked! :debil: Intermission was also filled with lots and lots of great food! Sirloin burgers, marinated steaks and chicken strips, pasta salad, cookies and a couple of birthday cakes for Jamie.

The afternoon session met with a much faster pace, some MONSTER hillclimbs and hillclimb attempts. "Widowmaker Hill" was total carnage at first when all 12 of the riders charged up a near-vertical singletrack climb. There were bikes and bodies strewn about like a war zone. Luckily, being the slowpoke that I am, I was in the rear and missed becoming a statistic! After some evaluation, some of us decided to take the easier route around to the top and spectate the crazies as they attempted, and succeeded, multiple runs at the "Widowmaker". After a few more rocky miles, I managed a slow-speed getoff that actually broke my left Cycra handguard mount, rotated my clutch lever and slammed me to the solid rock floor, knocking the wind right out of me. I also managed to impale my knee onto the rock, literally paralyzing it for a good 4-5 minutes. The pain was unbelievable, and I thought I may have broken it for a short time. I also hung my right wrist during my abrupt dismount. There was a time when I thought it may have been severely hurt as well. After a few minutes of laying there, gasping for breath, the wrist came back around, and the sharp, piercing pain in my knee subsided into a slow, dull burn. A few minutes of "walking it off" and we were back on our way. Got back to the pavilion at about 4PM and decided that we were through for the day. After a change into dry clothes and a quick burger, we commenced loading up, swapping bench racing stories and doing quick bike-swap rides.

After a bit, we realized that we still had three guys out in the woods. Found out that Greg had toasted his clutch and would need a tow back to camp as he was three miles out. TTRGuy graciously volunteered to do it. Once we had everyone back, Al and I shared a quick brew with Speedy and TTRGuy and Crusty, and we were on our way back north to KC. Got home around 930, parked the trailer, took a nice hot shower (screaming when the hot water hit the hole in my kneecap!) and fell into bed and slept like a rock! Woke up today feeling sore, tired, worn out, and totally stressed-relieved. This is just another example of how so many people who may have never met in real life can get together and ride and eat and have a beer and go home with some great riding stories and memories.

Thanks to all, I had a blast!

Members present (Let me know if I forgot anyone):
Big Lou, Agent Orange, CRSwade, Thunder 33, Blue Thunder and friend Jeff, RedXR, GregS, kdx220rm, Junior, TTRGuy and Gospeedracer, CAL, CAL's dad and friend David and tour guide WFOCrusty. Also ran into Knobbyhob and Chadrick and 94ruck and crew.

Reported Missing In Action: Sergeant First Class Crash. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Funny how pain can leave a smile on the memory.:)

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Sounds like you had a good time Big Lou! I wish I could have made it, but I went down Wednesday .The hill you call WidowMaker, is this DairyQueen you are talking about? That is a good hill climb :p Luckily, I live 5 miles from Cobb Ridge and go down to the "Wick" a few times every week to ride before work for a hour or two. So due to many attempts I have some "better" lines to take. Did you get drowned out on 101?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I had a great time. It was nice getting to meet the KC crew as well as Speedy, TTRGuy, and others I've seen around on DRN for so long. :) I've got to thank Agent Orange for letting me take the big 380 for a spin, as well as Thunder33 for letting me ride the famous Hurricane , and Rick (I think) for letting me finally ride a KTM 520(oh baby!). I think I spent as much time on other peoples' bikes as I did my own. Hey Lou, next time try to keep the KTM above water. ;) That thing puked out ALOT of water. I can't believe your tranny fluid didn't have water. Oh well, I needed a leg workout anyway. It was good to ride some rocks that were a little different from the rocks that I'm used to. Riding wheelies on the fire roads was nice too. How's that knee doing Lou? Hope your wrist is feeling better CRSwade. And TTRGuy...glad you remembered to get your kickstand out of the tree. ;) I think me and the 426 survived Chadwick without any booboos.

The next time I go to Chadwick, it's going to be a two day ride. It was too quick of a trip this time. In a matter of 34 hours, we had driven for 14, ridden for 8, and visited with family in Springfield. :confused:

The next big ride is going to be at Turkey Bay. You guys are coming onto our ground! You've ridden the rocks at Chadwick, so you can ride the rocks of Turkey! Just be prepared to do some hill climbing. :scream: Jason, if you liked the Widowmaker...you've got to come to Turkey Bay!!!

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Glad to hear everyone had a good time. I agree with Cal, though. One day is just not long enough to enjoy everyone's company. We'll definately have to schedule a campout down here so we can BS....I mean bench race around the fire. That's about my favorite way to end a good day of riding.

Lou, I'm sincerely sorry about the submarine incident. I was really trying to avoid that very thing when I saw that 10' deep stream that we almost dove right into on 101. Due to the steep terrain and abundance of shelf rock at Chadwick, the smallest stream can turn into the "Bermuda Triangle" in no time after the torrential rains like we had before you guys came down.

I also felt bad about Wade spraining the wrist on that hillclimb and then taking him up that washed out hill on the way back to camp. That was probably not the best choice, but I didn't think the rocky stream beds would be any better at the time.

And, for anyone I left out there on the trails, my humblest apologies. I know Rick and Junior got separated a couple of times and then later Lou (when you whacked the knee :( ). I'll try to tone it down next time. I sometimes forget that to anyone that hasn't been there, Chadwick can be pretty intimidating.

Again, a special thanks to TTR Guy for saving Greg from those bears in the woods (not really any bears, but I have seen a few mean deer)! It's not any fun breaking down anywhere, but especially not in a ravine like he was in.

Next time you make it down this way, I'll show you guys my favorite trail (104) and for those of you looking for a REALLY good time...we'll have an introduction to Dairy Queen (a kinder, gentler form of torture). ;)

Crusty

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by BigLou
[B I was, at that moment, very glad I didn't bring the 426! [/B]

I had the 400 pipe-deep in water at one point and it kept on trucking!

All in all, it was a great time. GSR, sorry about the "blockpass" on the hill. It was not at all intentional. TTRGuy, sorry about the tidal wave, that also was not intentional.

Thanks to everyone for a great b-day ride!

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
I'm still grinnin' like a (insert redneck phrase)...That was a great Saturday, I was teary eyed just thinking that we actually had to pack up and leave. That Chadwick has magnetized my bike and the pull to keep it down there is strong..
Great to meet all the new faces, awesome riding, awesome food, that is what dirt bike riding is all about! Though water filled, the trail conditions were fantastic, amazing that a forest can get 4-6inches of rain prior to our arrival and still be a blast to ride. No mud in them thar' rocks, just water! Lou, you done good my friend. I think everyone had their moments of spodeliness, whether in creeks or on gnarly rock ledged climbs.
Wraith, the Widowmaker is not DQ, WFO will need to advise where it is, a great hill though. KCHusky is wanting to come down sometime over Memorial Day weekend so we may get to run it some more...YEEHAW!
Agreed, this should have been a 2day ride!
All in all, no major injuries to bikes and bodies, and everyone came away with a smile and a new understanding for rocky terrain. Glad to have met everyone and enjoyed the day together with friends. Hope to do it again soon...Jason

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I don't know what you folks are talking about? GSR and I camped 2 nights, rode 2 days and had campfires every evening & morning ;) Thunder - don't worry about the 'flood' that you sent my way, I know it wasn't intentional and sorry if I seemed a little miffed about the block pass on GSR, I am a little protective of her (and other women on the trail). No harm no foul. Rick (the very CLEAN Rick), thanks a ton for all the hard work cooking, and thanks for all the food guys. We really did think the group meal was to be that evening :) Got to see some great crashes this weekend and even showed off real nice once myself. I think I did close to 3 backwards somersaults downhill on those darn rocks before I stopped! GSR got some pics of some of the trails that we'll try to post soon. It boggles my mind that I just keep meeting truly awesome folks from here without ever meeting ANYONE that I don't like. Without naming everyone - Glad to meet ALL of you and see some of you again. As soon as some minor bike damage is fixed (thanks Chris :) ) I will be ready and willing again. I agree with CAL though, we gotta check out Turkey Bay soon. Rick, I left the coat hanger over by the pavillion for you.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I am sorry that I showed up on a overstuffed chair with wheels! i couldn't keep up with my crew at all. A couple of guys jumped in with us for a while and the pace was ferocious.
We almost lost the bat boy in the deep end of the pools a couiple of times but was still able to keep him agoin" Did some awesome hills and rode nearly 50 miles before heading in to find everyone but crusty loaded up. Next time thunder, we got to get out together! i will bring my bike for that one! We had a blast and thanks everyone for asking if we needed to eat!

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Rick, I left the coat hanger over by the pavillion for you.

Thanks Eddie! Can you feel any dumber than locking your keys in your car! At least I remembered to put on underwear that morning! :moon:

Is there anyone out there really interested in heading down to T-Bay? I told CAL I was going to try to make it down on Memorial Day weekend, but it looks like I'm going to have to renig on that.....sorry. My mother told me she was going to have a family cook out on that Saturday and that I WAS going to be there. :|

But, I've got a four day weekend over the 4th of July that I'd possibly be open for. I may even bring the wife and kids down there for some R&R. Don't know yet about between the two dates, but I'd be up for suggestions.

BTW....thanks for the "adult beverage" post ride this weekend TTR & GSR!

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by wfocrusty
Is there anyone out there really interested in heading down to T-Bay? I told CAL I was going to try to make it down on Memorial Day weekend, but it looks like I'm going to have to renig on that.....sorry. My mother told me she was going to have a family cook out on that Saturday and that I WAS going to be there. :|

But, I've got a four day weekend over the 4th of July that I'd possibly be open for. I may even bring the wife and kids down there for some R&R. Don't know yet about between the two dates, but I'd be up for suggestions.

I'm supposed to be in St. Louis on July 6th. :( I might be able to get out of it, but I don't know. :think:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Oh man, I guess I'm the only resident party pooper. While it was great meeting you guys and seeing some of you again, I had a horrible time out on those trails. :( The area is really cool and quite pretty but I now think "woods riding" needs to be broken into two catagories! I have never ridden in woods like that before. I'm afraid this desert rider didn't fare too well out there in those dense trees. In addition to being totally freaked out by all the trees I kept getting lost. On Sunday TTRGuy and I went out on our own twice and tried to follow some of the trails on the map but we kept getting lost and ended up getting into some situations I definitely wasn't prepared for. I thought 101 was suppose to be easy?! :think:
KDX220rm, thank you for the wonderful cookout. And thank you to all those who contributed. I felt just horrible we botched the timing. What am I going to do with all this corn?! ;)
Crusty, it was nice chatting with you. We are definitely looking forward to riding with you again sometime. Maybe Turkey Bay. :)

B

biglou

Aimee-You and Eddie should come over and ride at Merwin. That is a very good place to ride "woods". Nothing as challenging as Chadwick (That's why I ride Merwin all the time!). Plus, a very tame MX track that is beginner friendly, or you can go big. Rider's choice kind of track. It's very similar to Casey, except the track is not quite as long or "advanced". You guys would have fun there. There is real dirt and everything! Your tires hook-up and you can really have fun. Just give any of us a shout whenever you guys want to head west.

PS-If you go with Jason, hang a bell on him. That's how he lost the toe last year... :D

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
There is real dirt and everything

Real dirt nothing! Merwin has jet black, mineral rich TOPSOIL to ride on. Now that's some smooth easy ridin'! ;) That stuff turned my driveway black for a week. :)

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
Was really hoping to hook up and ride Saturday morning with everbody. We were just getting ready to head to the pavilion and the first pull of my clutch - snap- cable broke! So , spent till about 12:30 or so in Sparta and Ozark. Basic cycle in Ozark was finally able to piece one together for me. Met Big Lou and he introduced us to a lot of the group -thanks. We had to head back home about 2:30. Hopefuly we can get with ya next time.

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
CAL...you're going to be in STL on the 6th? You aren't planning on bringing the bike are you? I'll probably be at Cuba at my in-law's lake place if I don't go on a trip. Maybe we could hook up for a ride at St. Joe???? Any takers....TTR, GSR, K.C. Dogs???? Maybe we can schedule T-bay for later summer or early fall?

Hob, I don't know if I ever got to make your acquaintence. If I did, my feeble old mind forgot. Hope we can meet up on a ride sometime soon.

Aimee, don't worry about getting lost in Chadwick. If you guys are ever down this way again, just give me a holler and I'll make sure you don't get lost.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
PS-If you go with Jason, hang a bell on him. That's how he lost the toe last year... :D
:) Ok, one more time please. Exactly where is Merwin? Sounds like a good time since I haven't ridden in real dirt for quite some time.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by wfocrusty
CAL...you're going to be in STL on the 6th? You aren't planning on bringing the bike are you? I'll probably be at Cuba at my in-law's lake place if I don't go on a trip. Maybe we could hook up for a ride at St. Joe???? Any takers....TTR, GSR, K.C. Dogs????

Hmmm, St Joe on the 6th. I think we are supposed to race, but Jason and I were commenting on how much more fun these rides are so maybe, maybe.

BTW, wrist is fine, just a little sore. I think the nasty climb out of the holler loosened it up. It was my own fault for trying that other hill that everyone else had the good sense to look at instead. I was just feeling a little spunky that day-oh well. I was definitely in the mood fo ra two-dayer, but quite a few folks had to get back. I did ride @ that private area Sunday though-you guys really should come up and do a day of MX/trails @ Merwin, then hit S&S the next day-quite a little more challenging but still fun.

Good to meet everyone and hope to do it again soon-I will definitely be up for Turkey Bay. Eddie and Aimee, make sure to let me know when you want to hook up for more Chadwick action or St Joe Park.

B

biglou

Eddie-Merwin is about 32 miles south of my home. I'm about 10 miles south of I-70 and I-435 junction on the MO side of KC. If you guys wanna head over, I've got plenty of floor space. Wade is right, a good couple days of riding in the dirt would be a great weekend. :)

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Enjoyed getting to meet all the newbies to the area.

Hey knobby hob, sorry to have missed you. I found a XR400 and a KTM and went over to talk to you, but it wasn't you :silly:

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I promise....no block passing. Well, maybe on Lou, but he is used to it.

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
KDX220RM,
my ride didn`t really go as planned ( the old xr kinda let me down but then rewarded me with a couple of good hours of rock roostin after we got the clutch cable repaired. We stopped by but didn`t see ya, think someone said you was flippin burgers.
Blue Thunder,
Thanks for the offer it sounds great , but wont be able to make this one, I`ve got some kido duties and start some more kitchen passes.
Wfo Crusty,
It must be great to live in that MECA of a riding area. I dont think I have ever seen Chadwick so wet, but had a great time anyway!
Hopefully we can get together and ride next time around!

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Knobby hob,

I haven't seen it that wet there, either. But, I've got admit it was alot better than riding in the choking dust during summer! I may have to hang a rope on the tree at the end of 102 again so we can can do some monkey swingin'! :confused:

Jason...better eat some Wheaties on Sunday morning! I've got a whole new can of Whoop A** to open up! :moon: Wade's "moon rock" ride should have been a good primer!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom