chain and pipe problems cr 250

mike212

May 20, 2006
Hi, i have a cr 250 1998 and im wanting to get a new chain for it and i dont know how many links am i supposed to get and also on my pipe it is stock and where the little rubber thing that connects the pipe with the silencer i think that is leaking but im not sure because it sprays exuast all over my bike and when ever i ride my bike and i titan my chain my chain loosens after that ride and i titen the tensoners and everything if i could get any help i would be thankfull...

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Get a 120 link chain and have your local shop cut it to the necessary length. Depending on your sprocket combination, a stock length chain might not fit. What sized tire are you running? 110/90-19 is stock. A little rubbing is acceptable. The joints between the pipe and muffler often leak, many of us ignore this. Your dealer will be able to tell you what seals you need in there. Is the chain coming loose because the tensioners are moving or is the chain stretching? Chains get longer as they wear so you do need to tighten them periodically. If you aren't lubing it properly or are riding in water/mud, your chain will wear very quickly and will need to be tightened every ride and sometimes more often. If you don't want to have to keep adjusting your chain, you should invest in an o-ring chain.

dmurph6847

Feb 10, 2007
make sure you dont need new sprokets..Most of the time when you replace a chain you should change out sprockets,both front and rear...you can even play with the sizes...for more low end power add a few teeth in the rear...I went from a 51 to a 53 on my kx 250 05 and I love it for sx...and for mx its ak just uses higher gears ...

mike212

May 20, 2006
thanks for the replys one more question what brand should i go with and it says that my stock chain is non-o-ring what would happen if i got a o-ring chain??

Top Bottom