Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Post 'em up... !

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I read somewhere that there's a kit to upgrade from the 520 to a 530 chain. Heck, this is a freakin 500 two stroke, it'll turn something bigger, and it also says "this sucker is built TOUGH!!"

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Yep, I am a Renthal fan too.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I love jaybird like a union brother, albiet his 530 suggestion is worthy of investigation.
OK, that 2 seconds is up.
520 is it.
530 if you wated to build a trail cruiser, nobody THINKS they are a trail cruiser, we are all racing for the gold.
Really, does anyone think they are just gonna lay back and build some ho;hum reliable bike to go trail ride?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Actually, the #525 would be the best choice for beefing up the drive.
The DID 525 Xring weighs ~4-5 ounces more than the DID 520 Xring that comes on the AFX.
Same chain pitch, just the plates are slightly thicker than the 520. You would have a hard time telling it was a 525 at a glance.

I provided the idea because of the beastly power aspect of the AFX. I have always contended that a good quality 520 chain has plenty of meat.
I thought that in creating the woods beast, it may be interesting as far as scoring points for increased integrity and possibly longevity. We beef up springs and other parts for just that reason. (shrug)

Anywho...I am a bigtime fan of Rebel Gears. American machined alloy sprockets.
Doug Chestnut, owner, is willing to custom cut a 525 setup for the AFX if there is clearance for a 3mm wider chain.
The rear is no problem, but the CS needs to happen right away if it's gonna be done and hardened by deadline. He is up at the show this weekend and tells me if we know by tuesday, it can happen.
We can pony up the chain and sprockets no matter what size.

As far as chain...If we were to go with the 525, I would want to use the DID ERV as it is the smallest profile of the racing 525's
For 520, I am a big fan of the RK XSO Xring. Lasts as long as any ring chain and well built.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Yes the size would work out.
What's the stock call out for sprockets on the AFX... '03 CR500(250) ?

I'm not sure that there are any 525 or 530 on the shelf that will spline up on the AFX. If there is then it can for sure be machined to work.
Most likely will be just a one-off, copying the spline of what the AFX uses.

I'm fairly certain that there is also the needed extra side clearance in the chain guide, but will need AJ to confirm this.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I like the stealth rear sprockets by supersprox. Those are the two-piece aluminum inner/steel outer sprockets. My last one wore great, and I replaced it with another one. I only replaced it because the chain was missing several rollers and I wanted a new set of sprockets to go with the new chain.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
EK MRD6 chain - great find. I can get it unplated. Wears as good as any of the "gold" chains ( used to run DID ERT's ) - is about $20 cheaper. You can get it in gold or several other colors for an extra $10.
Can't go wrong with Renthal sprockets.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If I am to pursue the 525 set-up, I will need to know right away to make deadline.

Also, I would assume folks would be receptive to having mud reliefs cut in the rear.
I'm also assuming folks would be in concensus as far as plated chain is concerned.

How about hardcoat anodizing? I think the Black hardcoat would fit the motiff...(shrug)

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
JAYBIRD,

i missed getting back to this,and your PM.

my apologies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sure there is enough clearence going the 525 route..
or even the 530 route.
it should not be an issue.

for information purposes-
The AFX comes *stock* with the CRF250X ring chain..
a stock CR500 C/S sproket, and AFAM rear sproket.

the gearing and sprokets /splines info-
for whatever is decided-

Rear sprocket 48t - to fit newer Honda CR or CRF rear hub, (same pattern for a decade)

C/S sprocket 14t for 01 CR500 (same SPLINE pattern as modern CR250R - lets say 00 thru 06 )

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well this is a DRN bike and we're trying to showcase DRN related products so I vote to go with Jaybird's 525 or 530 setup since AJ thinks it will fit. I think the 525 would be plenty and not add too much weight so that's my vote! Hardcoated black would be sweet!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ivan said "lube" :debil:

:)

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Will this 525 or 530 chain be ringed? I know Jaybird isn't a fan of ringed chains but I'd think it would be a good idea for the application?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
:) You read me wrong, Stan. I think ring chains definately have their place on dirt bikes.
I have always been an advocate of using a standard chain for dry days and track riding. But when in the slop, the ring chain should be mounted up.
It's rivet master links that I really don't like.

The ultimate DRN woods bike should have a ringed chain, IMO.
It is my hope that Dick may ride the beast, and take it in the slop...and let the camera man know just what 500 roost is all about. :)

I used to sell the "Stealth" or "Tri-Metal" as Vic Krause now calls it.
I find it to be a very trick looking piece of equipment. I also find that they are built well. However, they are constructed by using titanium rivets to hold the steel outer wheel to the inner aluminum hub body, and as such, can pose a potential threat for damage or failure. I never had one customer ever complain of this situation, after SuperSprox fixed the initial clearance problem they had with these rivets. (fixing these slight issues is what got the "generation5" thing started)
In fact everyone that I know who used them liked them mucho.
I just think that if we are going to put together the ultimate bike, we should consider trying to keep potential problems away. A nice rock or stump could possibly play heck with the Tri-Metal....besides, Vic now charges about three times what I used to sell them for. (shrug)

Time is of the essence for the sprockets, so I'm going to take the liberty of putting that into motion.
For the chain, I think we need to run a poll. There are just too many ring chains that are of good quality to pick one without member input.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Jay, as you know I had a stealth on my 500. I never had any problems. I say go the stealth/trimetal. I've hit plenty of rocks/stumps/dirt samples. damage wasn't an issue.

as for the chain, +1 for the 525 from jay :cool:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I don't care what we use, as long as we lube it with WD-40.

:)

Top Bottom