cb23

Mar 15, 2004
Hi guys! First, I no longer own a bike. I own an open wheel race car. A few weeks ago we converted it from belt drive to chain drive. Now, I am having trouble keeping the chain on the sprockets. Sorry, long post for a short easy question.

Small sprocket (13T) is fixed to the frame. Large sprocket (65T) is on the solid axle. There are two problems: chain tension changes a bit as the rear tires go up and down, and since a single tire can and does go up or down at a time, there is some loss of plane between the sprockets.

I am not sure which of these causes the chain to come off. . .

Sprockets are very well aligned at rest. Center to center is 18.5 inches. We built a chain tensioner after the first failure, that tensions both the upper and lower sections of chain. Kind of an elongated O that is spring loaded, that the chain fits inside of. Situation got slightly better.

We have decided that the next step is a guide at the bottom (front) of the large sprocket, attached to the axle tube, that will force the chain to engage the rear sprocket teeth correctly, with low friction plastic all around inside, in case the chain is whipping up and down.

SO. Where the chain enters this 4 inch chain guide, forward side, should it be wider than it is as it exits the guide onto the sprocket? (since the rear sprocket may be tilted relative to the front sprocket)

Thanks!

Chris

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would think that some amount of "funnel" would be necessary.

My suggestion is to model your chain guide after a quad instead of a bike. A bike doesn't have the "plane" issue you have as the axle angle changes. A quad, however, would have the same issue.

Rod

Top Bottom