yorinda

Mar 13, 2004
I just changed the gearing on my KDX, substituting an 11 tooth sprocket for the stock 13, and a 49 tooth for the stock 47. My thought was that since the bike has under 300 miles, the same chain could be used. Well, I adjusted the chain so that it has about 2.5 inches clearance from the swingarm when set at the 1.5 axle adjustment position. Now, the problem seems to be that I notice a good deal more friction of the chain on the chain guide, since the rear sprocket is now not only closer to the guide, but it is larger as well. Doesn't seem to me to be any way to adjust this. Will I need to buy a new chain, or can I somehow get this stock chain to work? And if I do need to buy a new chain, where do you go for the best prices? Thanks for any help you can give.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
The chain guide can be filed to fit your new setup. People commonly do this and if you switch back to the smaller sprocket, just buy a new block. You can get good prices on chains at www.mxsouth.com or www.rockymountainmc.com , mxsouth is a little slow on shipping though.

P.S... I think an 11 is a little too small and would have went 12/50 if I was you but hey... It's your bike and I hope it works for ya!

yorinda

Mar 13, 2004
I agree with you that 11 is too small, but I was pretty sure that 49 was the largest I could handle still using the stock chain. And since it was a new O-ring chain, I was reluctant to throw it away. The gearing I have now with the 11/49 is just about perfect for the woods I ride in. So, what I should do is remove the plastic block that sits at the bottom of the chain guide and file or grind it down? Sounds like that would work. Thanks for the advice.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
You might want to consider an FRP chain guide. It better accomodates an o-ring chain, and has better clearance for the 49T (which I run also).

Not only that, it is much tougher. At a HS last week, I smashed the FRP chain guide against a boulder taking an alternate line around a bottleneck on a nasty hill. I felt something hit hard, thought it may have been the sprocket, but the bike kept moving so I didn't stop. Closer inspection back home revealed that I sheared the front mount bolt completely off, bent all 3 of the others, and rotated the guide up into the swingarm. However, it did not bend laterally, and it did not derail the chain. I managed to continue another 30+ miles & finish the race with it like that. I've no doubt the stock KDX guide would have been in pieces on the side of the hill, and I would have been done for the day.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
TM Designworks makes the chain guide but FRP (Fredette Racing Products) markets them as their own. TM doesn't even list them on their site.

yorinda

Mar 13, 2004
Well, I bought a FRP chainguide from Rocky Mountain, which was $5 less than mxsouth. My thanks to everyone who chipped in with good advice. When it comes time to buy a new chain, I will definitely go with a 12/51 setup. This kind of gearing works really well in the very tight trails I ride----anything over 35 mph along these trails would be suicidal.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Your chain slipper is going to have a hard life with an 11t CSS. Keep a close eye on that! Having to buy a new swingarm might ruin your day a tad.

I don't understand the 11/49 part. I run 12/47...and first gear is useless 98% of the time, and this area is closer and more technical than most.

Whatever suits you tickles me. But...I'm wondering if there are some other problems going on that leads you to such a low final drive ratio.

At 11/49 you should have pretty much nothing but a wheelie monster with much of any throttle..and that's not helping you get up any hills.

But...have fun!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom