76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Someone mentioned chain lube in another post today. What do you all do for chain lube? I am running a non-o-ring chain so I must lube a lot. I had been using Honda's chain lube, but am very unsatisfied with its performance. Half way through a ride, the chain gets noisy and squeaky. I have had ok luck with the wax type chain lubes, but the dirt really sticks to them. For budget reasons and an overall dissapointment with chain lubes, I decided to go my own route. Now, I mix motor oil for its lubricating properties with WD-40 for its penetrating properties. I painted everything on with a small paint brush. It makes a little bit of a mess when you run it the first time and the excess oil flings off, you could wipe it off I guess. But, even after riding in all kinds of conditions from hardpack to sand to mud today, the chain still doesn't have a hint of squeak to it. I may stick with this motor oil and WD-40 mixture for a while.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
76GMC1500 said:
Someone mentioned chain lube in another post today. What do you all do for chain lube? I am running a non-o-ring chain so I must lube a lot. I had been using Honda's chain lube, but am very unsatisfied with its performance. Half way through a ride, the chain gets noisy and squeaky. I have had ok luck with the wax type chain lubes, but the dirt really sticks to them. For budget reasons and an overall dissapointment with chain lubes, I decided to go my own route. Now, I mix motor oil for its lubricating properties with WD-40 for its penetrating properties. I painted everything on with a small paint brush. It makes a little bit of a mess when you run it the first time and the excess oil flings off, you could wipe it off I guess. But, even after riding in all kinds of conditions from hardpack to sand to mud today, the chain still doesn't have a hint of squeak to it. I may stick with this motor oil and WD-40 mixture for a while.

I use Bel-Ray... It works pretty good, and I don't have a nasty mess...

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
That was the wax type lube I was referring to. I guess I would use it if I had enough money, but the motor oil and WD-40 seems to be working better at the moment.

On my o-ring chains, both the Honda and Bel-Ray work fine.

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
Ive been using PJ1 lately, its a grey black foam that goes on, make a hell of a mess, but keeps the chain lubed real nice. every couple rides, i just scru the chain off, then reapply~

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
MX1000 disappeared after half a day of riding in water and mud for me. I use chain wax - make sure the chain is warm and you let it set after applying and before riding, it doesn't attract dirt at all.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Maxima Synthetic Cystal Clear Chain lube here. Goes on thin to penatrate then thickens to stick. Doesn't fling off.

Stay away from "chain waxes", they get everywhere and are a pain to clean off.

Good luck, Steve.

Top Bottom